Hot Rod Forum banner

Tools needed 54 chevy 4 spd auto

736 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jalopy45 
#1 ·
Hey guys, one of my employees is rebuilding a 4 speed automatic for his 55 1st series chevy truck. Parts were not a problem however there are a few of special tools needed. There are 2 special tools required to do the internal band adjustments and an external tool to bend the detent linkage to set it.
Does anyone know where a guy could beg, borrow or steal a set of these tools? He would really like to borrow these tools and I assure you he is very trustworthy. The transmission is built and ready to set up.
Maybe if someone would have pictures of these tools or demensions, anything that might help him set up this transmission.
Even a phone # of a guy who knows a guy... Thanks for any help at all !!
Bob

#2 ·
You got a 4 spd. Hydramatic. About the only place you'll find the tools is at an old Trans rebuilders shop or EBay. That's the transmission that started B&M going. I believe they stopped making them around 58 or 59 in the Oldsmobiles.

#3 ·
4 speed hydramatic

Thanks for the response,
I did not think about e-bay for the tools, I'll try there. We have asked several old timers but most of that stuff is long gone. The place out of Calf. were he easily bought any part he needed, had loaned their tools out only to not be returned. Even if someone had a base adjsutment that they started with, with out using the special band tools would help. I'm afraid he is going to be guessing at this point. Thanks again. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.