Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - tools and technique resources
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Interesting request. I learn something almost every day and at my age, some of these items are things I had forgotten or maybe forgotten to remember. Regardless, you should get a copy of a Machinist Handbook. There are a couple of thousand pages of information, charts, tables, theory, standards etc, etc that explain a lot of things that we have learned by trial and error over the years. Little things like strength of threads, why coarse vice fine threads, importance of proper fastener selection, correct drill speeds or end mills for different sizes and materials, speed in which to feed an item to be sharpened or cut or type of abrasive to be used at what speed on particular materials and on and on. I keep one handy just to thumb through when I am taking a break or if I have a question about some tool or part I am working with.

By the way, "slow and steady pressure" has it's place, but so does a high torque impact tool. A hammer on a ratchet never has a function other than a speedy demise of a good tool.

Trees