Top 5 ways to enhance performance of 1965 mustang I6 200ci - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Top 5 ways to enhance performance of 1965 mustang I6 200ci

Hello everyone,

I have a 1965 Ford Mustang I6, and I was wondering what 5 engine upgrades would best enhance the performance of my engine. I know its not the best setup for a muscle car, but its a respectable in its class and I am interested in making it faster. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allclassicsbefore70
Hello everyone,

I have a 1965 Ford Mustang I6, and I was wondering what 5 engine upgrades would best enhance the performance of my engine. I know its not the best setup for a muscle car, but its a respectable in its class and I am interested in making it faster. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
There are always the main things like size up exh size and of corurse a better flowing muffler like a Flowmaster. Then if ehx is sized up air intake as per intake manifold such as Clifford makes great 6cyl stuff and carb sizing, even rejetting up for intake and exh. Cyl head porting always makes a big difference when the other 2 are done. Remember a better flowing air filter helps too. I am not sure on things like roller rockers for a 6cyl but a better cam is always a help when the other things are done too. Also a lower gear ratio say if you have around 3.00 drop to a 3.50 ratio will really pick it up especially when better breathing has been done. If it's an auto a bit of abetter stall convertor will help. Good luck. Remember points don't perform to well so elect ign helps a lot to fire the fuel.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

If memory serves, I think this motor has an intake manifold that is integral with the cylinder head. Being the hermorphrodite that it is, there isn't much you can do for it. You could swap to a larger six or a 5.0 or a 351W. I was just looking at Crites and they have headers for a 351W/early Mustang swap. If it were mine, I'd find a late model Mustang 5.0 and buy the whole car, then strip out everything for use in your car, including the transmission, differential, wiring, computer and EFI.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Tech has a great idea for you!

If you want to keep it inline 6 I would get a more modern one, perhaps one out of a F150? Intergal manifolds really put the kabash on it.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 AM

yeah i would really like to keep the classic engine, and think i am going to add headers but not dual exhaust. any suggestions on carbs? id like to go 2brl
Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

As I said, the intake manifold is integral with the head and is only cast for a one-bbl carburetor. Using an adapter to mount a two-bbl is a fosdick arrangement and will not add performance. Do an engine swap if you want additional hp/torque.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM

hmm ok. well i certainly dont want to put a low power gas hog (80's 5.0 ho) engine in my classic mustang so i think i will keep it original and go with high-flow headers and mabe some dual exhaust, and a new high performance carb. thanks everyone for your opinions, until next time y'all keep it between the ditches.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Take the head off, and have the intake milled down, you can then add a 2bbl carb. Holley 2300 is a good 1 to add. The best small 6 head that Ford produced for US engines is the E0 head ( 1980-1983 ). But there are Aussie heads w/ removable intakes ( available in several variations ). www.classicinlines.com sells an alloy head designed after the aussie head and sells for $2k approx.. There is no reason you need to switch to a V8. You can get mild 302 power out of the 6 without turbocharging it, and double if you do... www.fordsix.com
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

i love the idea of upgrading the 6!

where is your hotrod spirit gone tech?

here is my top 5 upgrades to make your inlinesex run like a champ and keep its late 60s charm.
$$$dont expect it to be cheep or easy. good looking girls aren't like that

#1 header http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-6601HKR/

#2 intake http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5205/
this manifold looks a bit cheezy and i assume bolts to the stock 1bbl flange im doing more research and will update later

#3 fresh performance rebuilt cyl head.
take it into a good machine shop and tell them your plans and they will rebuild the head accordingly with a good multi angle valve job,clean up match the ports to item #1 and 2 and shave it down a touch.

#4 camshaft http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K65-236-4/

#5 carbs http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/34_ICH_p/15290.027.htm
nothing says sexisix like Italian carbs in a 3some.

all said and done here is what you get(different webbers but just as sexi

http://youtu.be/wK1F5UI7WgU

Last edited by mud bros; 05-29-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

after further searching i found that this godly lump is your cyl head and is going to require serious machine work to cut that tumor of the side so you can get air into that thing.

i would suggest a engine swap at this point. possibly a 300 from a 84up pickup.
there quite huge tho and may require some work to fit under the hood.

you can still do the mods and gain noticable power tho.

if it were my project i would look into welding 2 more cab mounting bosses on the current cast lump of poo
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

IMO the problem w/hotrodding the little Ford 200 cid six banger is the lack of displacement. Unless some type of forced induction were to be emoployed, the limitations imposed by the head design will mean the output is going to be modest at best and expensive to boot. Also be damn sure the engine is the late '64-up 7 main bearing version of the 200 inline 6. Prior to that, the 200 had only 4 main bearings. You can tell the difference easily by the 7 bearing engine having five freeze plugs in the passenger side of the block. The 4 bearing blocks have three freeze plugs

To swap in a V8 would be a considerable amount of work, time and money. The 7-1/4"(?) rear end wouldn't stand up to too much power, anyway. Tranny would need to go. Then there's the tiny drum brakes and 4 lug wheels, also it's sprung for the lighter engine, etc.

AFA a 5.0L V8 being a gas guzzler, you have to remember- to make power you gotsta burn fuel. The more fuel burned, the more output, all else being equal.

That said, a well thought out mild 5.0L engine combo w/EFI and an AOD tranny could easily knock down 20 mpg-plus on the road, w/triple the HP of the wheezer 6. I realize you're determined to keep the original engine, so the V8 info is mentioned as food for thought only.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bros

after further searching i found that this godly lump is your cyl head and is going to require serious machine work to cut that tumor of the side so you can get air into that thing.

i would suggest a engine swap at this point. possibly a 300 from a 84up pickup.
there quite huge tho and may require some work to fit under the hood.

you can still do the mods and gain noticable power tho.

if it were my project i would look into welding 2 more cab mounting bosses on the current cast lump of poo
The intake just takes a little time on the mill, then it can be cut for the offy manifold plate or a 2bbl.. 300 6 is a LOT more work..
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Well it seems most want a diff engine in your car, it makes sense, but you want to keep the original so your pretty much limited as Tech said because of the head so basically you can do a better exh for flow, maybe jet up a bit, doesn't sound like cam is in the picture so header will help but not much else but a little head work if you want to go that far. So it will never be fast just a bit better than it is now and thats the wat it goes with what you have. Still a cool car. My neighbor has 2 1968 Mustangs that we have been at for years, one is a stock 6 auto with a bit better exh and the other is a 4spd 302 car. So he is pretty happy and loves both, uses the 6cyl for parades, everyone just loves it too.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

A good place to find info is Fordsix.com. Any mod that has ever been done has been covered on there. I think there is an aftermarket head available.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

1) megasquirt efi plus a T3 turbo from a 280zx turbo (81 to 83) or a 300zx turbo (84 to 89). You should be able to find one of these used of $50.00. megasquirt efi will cost between 600 and 1000 to get going.

7.5 psi plus will add 50% more power (hp and torque)

so a 125hp/ 175ftlb engine will make 187.5hp/262.5ftlbs with 7.5 psi of boost, which in theory, turns your 200 cid engine into a 300 cid engine.

add 15 psi and double the power, but would need an intercooler at this boost level.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.