top chop revisited - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

top chop revisited

okay, before you all start yelling at me, I did search and look through a ton of threads on this. It's not so much a question on the top chop itself but rather the interior trim. I'm doing a 48 Chevy p/u and will be doing a 2 - 21/2 inch chop. The part that I couldn't find too much info on is what to do with all the interior trim. Is this stuff hard to weld back together since it is so thin? And to those of you who have done this...can I just get new door glass cut and use all of the old mechanicals? Thanks

barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I have chopped a couple of those trucks, the window frames are thin metal but no problem welding. Other than the corner windows on the back of a five window deluxe cab are flat safety plate, all can be made by any quality glass shop.

If you have a three window cab, I have to tell you, if you drill out the spot welds on the inner cab sheet metal and remove it, it makes for a much nicer chop. After you have welded the top all back, cut the inner panel down and weld it in. That way you can hammer weld all the welds.

Brian
Old 07-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

martinsr...thanks for the reply. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to chop. I love the look but this would be my first chop...just a little nervous about it. Mine is a three window and I will probably do the post lean method of chopping as i'm not going real radical on it. Another question I have is on the spot welds for the inner cab cover. How many are there? I will have to take it off regardless as I have some dents along the top back of the cab. The door window trim was bothering me as to how to weld it back. I will have to turn the heat down a lot? Thanks again.

Barry
Old 07-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

If this is your first chop I'd not try to lean the post back.Window installation can be a nightmare if the post lean back is not done right. Keep everything in the same plane as stock & add metal to the roof.
Don
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Barry, it was my first chop, at 16 years old! There are a zillion spot welds, it isn't easy removing it. But it is, in my opinion nessisary to do a nice job. the dents are NOT a reason to remove it, there are other methods.

Don is right, leaning the posts back does NOT make the chop easier. It only takes the time spent on splitting the top and puts it in another place. It isn't that hard being the glass is all flat, as opposed to curved glass, but it is still a steep learning curve either way.

At only a couple of inch chop I do believe that leaning the posts would be the way to go. A four inch chop only requires about a one and a half inch lengthen. So with two and a half that means about an inch or so, that isn't much to massage the posts.

The one that I am in the middle of right now is going four, but will be lengthed AND I am leaning the posts as well. I think it gives a much better look with the posts leaned, as long as they are not too much. A four inch chop with leaned posts looks bad in my opinion.

Brian
Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Here is a picture of my 48 so you wil see what one looks like chopped 3 1/2" lengthened 3".

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buford may11 001.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	5691  
Old 07-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Thirty years ago! Don, I was wrong, it wasn't 1 1/2" it was 2 1/2". I just went out and measured it. That was with a four inch chop. How could yours be a 3" with only a 3 1/2" chop? We aren't measuring the same thing or something. I measured the actual distance from the top had to be lengthened to line up the posts.

By the way, on my current chop (it is about half done) I am only going to lengthen it half that at 1 1/4" and lean the posts back. Unlike the way I did it 30 years ago with the full 2 1/2 Lengthen. I just think it will look better. The way I see it, when you don't lengthen the top with a 4" or so chop the windshield is laid back too far in my opinion. Because of this the glass doesn't get shortened nearly the same as if you lengthened the top, it is laid back after all. However, draw an imaginary line up vertically from the bottom of the front of the glass, and one up from the top of the glass. Now, if you were to measure between these lines it is actually SHORTER between these two lines than stock! Soooooooo, it gives the illusion that the windshield has been leaned FORWARD!.

If you lean the posts back, and draw these imaginary lines they are going to be the same as when it was stock, however, with the top lowered it looks like it has been increased because of the ratio between the distance and the height of the top. WHEW, I may have lost myself on that one.

Anyway, I plan on both lengthening AND leaning the posts to keep that ratio or something similar for a more pleasing look.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-07-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Hey Don, wild bed, that's pretty cool. Do you have any other photos
Brian
Old 07-08-2005, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

The interior trim refit is the easiest part of the chop, The area on each side of the window is removed & once the chop is done simply cut & fit & tack weld it back in place.. One tip....when the top is extended for the chop take it off again & turn it upside down. Using a thin door wood skin(home depot) & fiberglass make a headliner that you can glue material to. It can then be attached to the interior for a seam free headliner. I also att. insulation to the roof.

Good luck ,,,,,Don
Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Don, good head liner tip. There is a guy named Cole Foster out of Salinas Ca that has one of the most tasteful AD Chevys ever. He did something similar with the head liner. He took another roof and made a metal one! From below the rear window up and over to the windshield is a perfect seamless metal. He painted it a white pearl along with the dash (53 Olds as I remember) and the window frames (also 53ish Olds) for a really striking look. Look for a thread I am going to start on Coles style.

So, how about some pictures of your bed? I can't remember if you have ever posted photos of it. I just went back to the photo and it looks like you are going to bolt some "fleetside" panels over them?

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-08-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

The bed is the result of many hours of massaging metal. It was more difficult than the top chop.
I'm getting up in age, have health problems & wanted to do one last rod that will be different.

I picked the ugly duckling AD because of its round lines. I made the lines look even more round by rounding off the top during the chop.(slanting the post back would not look right on this one... It adds a razor sharp look). The doors are pulled in at the top to add to the roundness.
The bed was shaped to the contour of the cab so when viewed from the rear the cab & bed flow as one. The bed is a late model bed that I reworked making it a little narrower than the original. I then added fins that are at a 30 degree angle at the rear & 45 degree at the front. 5" were removed from NOS fenders & welded to the bed.

Good luck w/your new AD. Post some pictues when appropriate......Don
I can't seem to upload a new picture . I'll try again on the next post

Last edited by Don Meyer; 07-08-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

bed picture

picture of bed...I hope
Don
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

picture

Here is another picture. These pictures are 6 mos old. I have reworked the bed since then. The bed is now ready for paint. Next week once the hurrican has passed & the bed is painted I'll post a picture......Don

Last edited by Don Meyer; 07-10-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I recently saw a chopped Gremlin. Pretty wild looking. Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Last journal entry: Dash mods
Last photo:

54 chevy 5 window top chop

Im in the middle of a 3" chop on a 54 5 window chevy truck
As this truck has the curved windsheild I had to cut the roof into
5 section and piece it back together, I also chose to cut 2.5" out below the rear window and a 1/2" in the center of the rear window so as to keep the rear window as large as possible as I do prefer this look to the "mailslot" look. If you have a 5 Window truck you can purchase laminated glass corner windows from Bobs classic glass and cut them down as the original corner windows were tempered and can not be cut as far as Im aware.
Check out my journal as I will add some pictures. This is my first chop and I must admit it is a bit unnerving to cut up a beloved vehicle until you start to get it back together, then you can sleep at night once again...... Good luck

cut, weld grind, repeat...........

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.