Hot Rod Forum banner

Top chop/vinyl top questions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wp442 
#1 ·
when chopping the top on a vehicle with a drip rail, how do you work around the drip rail? In another words, do you have to remove the entire drip rail, or fab a new drip rail for the pieces you patch in to place?

also, what is necessary to convert a vinyl top vehicle to a hard top?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
When it comes to drip rail, some people do just remove it. Others are careful and can cut out pieces and then replace them with sections cut from a donor roof. Sometimes you don't even have to mess with them.

If you want to remove your vinyl top just rip it off. Make sure you use a good epoxy primer on it before you paint so none of the adhesive residue thats trapped in the pores of the metal can screw up your new paint.

Centerline

#3 ·
As a matter of fact, I'm doing that to my '67 Ford F-100 right now. Take a look at http://www.oldsmobility.com/F100/my67-p18.htm for some pictures.

On my pickup, the drip rail is basically an 'L'. The short leg is the drip rail, the long leg is pinched and spot-welded between the upper roof panel and the lower cab portion. The area just above the drip rail on my roof was rusted out, so I'm having to replace it, using a donor cab, but cutting a portion of the roof panel off to give me access to the spot welds.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.