Top End Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Top End Questions

OK, where to start???...

Olds 330
#2 heads none adjustable rockers
NEW cam XE274H NEW lifters
OK

Now, before i put the cam in i had a problem with water getting in my oil. So, i took the intake and heads to a machine shop and the intake was bad and the heads were said to be perfect. When i got the heads back they were not assembled, and i was told that their was one rocker arm that did not have a spacer underneath it, but they did not know where it came from, what is the best way about going to fix this. Motor only has 15000 miles on it, but i put the cam and lifters in and i can't get the rocker arms to tighten down all the way. I have taken all the washers out but the engine has developed a miss and lost vaccume pressure so i think i have developed valve float, so any ideas.

AND

Is there an easy way to get the inner bearing off a pinion without a press?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Just a little suggestion!!??!! Please
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Ok, intake = bad, what was bad with it, warped, gasket?

You had water in the oil? Did you check the head gasket?

So they took your heads apart? And a rocker was missing a spacer.

1st I would of thrown a sh t fit. 2nd time to track down a spacer.

3rd I've heard of new rockers fitting under valve covers, but I haven't heard of not being to tighten the rockers down. Did you go to a huge cam? If thats the case swap out the rockers, and get a deep set of vavle covers. I"ve never heard of a cam stopping the rockers from going in place. . . but then again I think I've always replaced the rockers, valves, and such when doing a cam. So what do I know.

Ok you lost vacuum pressure, Now where did that happen? MAnifold vac pressure, intake stroke vacuum?

Honestly if you can't them rockers locked down, and the heads on tight you might be loosing pressure there.

Finally the inner bearing, I'm not familar with the olds, a chevy man myself, but are you talking about the main bearing? You can get it out with out a press, but you probably aren't going to be able to get another back in correctly with out a press.

So ok. Your vacuum loss/miss, that'd be the least of my worries, I'd figure out why those heads aren't falling to place and the rocker arm as well. If you took them off they should go right back on, with a new set of gaskets. So I'd find a new spacer, or plan on re doing the heads since they are off and apart anyway. I've never heard of a cam stopping a rocker arm from falling to place,but as far as I remember we always got new rockers with the cams, and did the lot wile we had an engine tore apart. So if someone else can confirm you need new rockers for your bigger cam (what size is it?) that maybe the next plan. Thats my biggest worry, you shouldn't of had to remove an washers, just bolt them back on, so something is wrong in that area.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Picture

Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Ok so with the crappy picture what is happening with the spacers is on about four of five out of the eight cylinders the spacer is holding up the pivot device so that it is not putting enough pressure on the rocker are to hold it tight, but what worries me is why where they used in the first place and is it ok to not use them now???
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Awwwwww with the picture I can see what your saying.

All the rockers I've done have spacers that come with them, or sleeves. YOu may or may not have to use them.

That being said, The rocker head should move back and forth or up and down with valve stem.

And with the picture I can see what your saying. Ok how big do you go up wit the cam? A big cam lobe may not work with stock rocker arms. That cam is going to change the movement of the rocker, well the leverage that it uses on the valve stems. Keep that in mind. So if you went way up in the cam size, you may want to track down some rocker arms made for the cam.

The rockers lift from the cam lobe, which then kicks the valves open and closed. So if your riding a big cam that rocker maynot be able to drop in place, leaving the exhaust valve open during the compression stroke, which would give you a vac leak, and a hell of miss.

Rocker arms cost a fortune, to me anyway. If you do have to redo them remember to pick up deep valve covers.

If this is the case and cam is too big for the arms, you can do one last thing to save money. I ave no idea what arms, or arm pivots look like on that. But I had a buddy who put a monster cam in a big block, and needed new rockers, he workes at a machine shop, he was able to measure the puchrods he needed and cut down the arms of is old pushrods and fit the ends to work.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

I just thought of something as well. Are those rockers adjustable, if so you maybe able to adjust the rocker arm tip. I wouldn't even know how to explain that with words.

Ok I slapped an attachment to this of rocker arm tips and how they should/ shouldn't look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker003.gif
Views:	52
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	36532  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

stock was 410 i was told it had a mild cam in it when i bought, it was totally rebuilt heads and all and it now has a 520 lift @ .050
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

So who ever put the cam in it did the heads. Ok. Are the rockers in the position when the valves open and close? The rockers should move with the vavle, and push rod, will move up and down, it may "wobble" a little tiny bit but shoudn't dance around too much. I found another pic I am going to add as an attachment.

My first plan of attack would be making sure the rockers are in the right position when opening and closing the valve, too much of a tip on the rockers and you will get issues. If they build the heads, and put a cam in, but never put the heads on, or just slapped them on with out checking the tip you will get serious miss and vacuum issues. As your exhaust valve won't close/open correctly niether will your intake valve. So first I'd check the rocker tip, adjust them to be correct if you can.

You said you had a vac leak, well if your exhaust vavle is cracked slighty when your engine in on the compression stroke you will be loosing the pressure, and if it is open on the intake you will loose vacuum.

So check the tip first. If you can get a hold of the guy who sold it to you, and ask what's up with the spacers. If you can get the right tip on the rocker with out the spacers, and the push rod/tapper doesn't dance around you don't need them. If you can't get the tip or the push rod/tapper jumps around alot then you need the spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuckva2.gif
Views:	40
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	36543   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker003.gif
Views:	31
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	36544  

Last edited by ortamenxs; 02-25-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM
More for Less Racer

Maybe you should go to an Oldsmobile-specific site? They would be more familiar with what you've got.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.