View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 10:30 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Exactly how are they "rivals"? They are hotrodders that march to a different tune, thats all.

If you ask me you could drop $12K on a really pristine BB Chevelle and have a nice 12-13 second car with only a little tuning and be as reliable as a bank vault, or you could drop $10K on a used Eclipse and then spend another $10K in parts and tuning to end up with a turbocharged grenade that won't be worth a dime in 10 years.

Sounds to me like you have pocket book envy not fast car envy.

Spend another $400 on gears and hang on, I once had the 400M in my garage in a 78 XR7 with a set of 2.50 gears out back and at 130+MPH I lost my nerve. Car felt like it was going to leave the road with the brick front end and jello suspension.

The engine was willing to go faster but my survival instinct wasn't. Sounds to me like you already know the answer to your question anyway.

hehe, you were lucky at least you had disk brakes, you outa try that in a 68 with drums all the way around, manual drums that is I had a beefed up windsor with a 8" 2.90 geared rear end with about 465 hp, it had ol bias plies on the front and no kidding, on the way to SC one summer when I first put it together me and the really pretty cobra mustang decided to try em out, I dont exactly know how fast we were going but in truth the left front tire seperated and developed a big ol knot, it cost me 80 bucks for one tire and a 9" with 3.73's when I finaly made it home, oh, and one more thing, with a manual reverse vale body C-6 (with brake) with the 2.90 gears I was clocked @ 88mph tacking it out in first(7000) and about 1 sec in second, then all I seen were BLUE lights...lol

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Exactly how are they "rivals"? They are hotrodders that march to a different tune, thats all.

If you ask me you could drop $12K on a really pristine BB Chevelle and have a nice 12-13 second car with only a little tuning and be as reliable as a bank vault, or you could drop $10K on a used Eclipse and then spend another $10K in parts and tuning to end up with a turbocharged grenade that won't be worth a dime in 10 years.

Sounds to me like you have pocket book envy not fast car envy.

Spend another $400 on gears and hang on, I once had the 400M in my garage in a 78 XR7 with a set of 2.50 gears out back and at 130+MPH I lost my nerve. Car felt like it was going to leave the road with the brick front end and jello suspension.

The engine was willing to go faster but my survival instinct wasn't. Sounds to me like you already know the answer to your question anyway.

hehe, you were lucky at least you had disk brakes, you outa try that in a 68 with drums all the way around, manual drums that is I had a beefed up windsor with a 8" 2.90 geared rear end with about 465 hp, it had ol bias plies on the front and no kidding, on the way to SC one summer when I first put it together me and this really pretty cobra mustang decided to try em out, I dont exactly know how fast we were going but in truth the left front tire seperated and developed a big ol knot, it cost me 80 bucks for one tire and a 9" with 3.73's when I finaly made it home, oh, and one more thing, with a manual reverse vavle body C-6 (with brake) with the 2.90 gears I was clocked @ 88mph tacking it out in first(7000) and about 1 sec in second, then all I seen were BLUE lights...lol