Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Top Speed
Thread: Top Speed
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 10:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

it takes a lot to be maintaining a sixties (muscle car): yes, I did not include muscle car. But I have a 1960 Porsche that will do 100 any day of the week. It was once a rust bucket, but not for the last 10 years. It is interesting to try to recall the day when it was new and all the rage for its advanced features and driveability. One similar won the Panamerica Road Race a couple of years before against the likes of the latests Olds V8.

Driving it today at 100 would put the fear of death before your eyes. By todays standards, the brakes are unreliable and tend to grab or pull from side to side depending upon meteorological conditions, it is noisy as hell inside from the sound of the motor and the wind noise, the steering is precise, but with 5.60 tires on the ground there is not much rubber on the road and it wants to follow every crack in the pavement. It is just plain relatively random compared to a recently built cars.

By comparison, I believe that the average US car built in 1968 was pretty sophisticated.