Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Top things to do when buying a used motor to drop in.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRHeloPilot View Post
Hey fellow Texan, have you tried the swap meets? My recent story:

I wanted a Chevy disc brake rear to replace my current Ford drum brake rear (long story). After going to the local swap meet and not finding anything and then checking Craigslist for a few days I found a couple people selling rears for $400 to $450. I ended up buying a '95 TransAm with blown engine. Guy wanted $1000 but I negotiated him down to $500 and I figured I now had the rest of the car for parts (trans, wheels, driveshaft, etc).

Due to circumstances beyond my control 3 weeks had gone by and I still hadn't done the rear exchange. That weekend was the Canton Swap Meet and I found a '85 Firebird disc brake rear for $100 and negotiated it down to $75. I then sold the '95 Transam on Craigslist for $800 so I ended up with what I wanted for free plus I made some extra cash cash because I went to the same swap meet twice.

You have a big swap meet starting tomorrow close to you :

DFW Swap Meet NOVEMBER 16,17,18 NEW LOCATION !!! GRAND PRAIRIE Lonestar Park I-30 & Beltline Road MORE INFO call 254-751-7958

I'm thinking about going and I don't actually need anything but just might find something I didn't know I HAVE to have
The last swap meet I attended was the one at Decatur, TX in 1996. At that particular Decatur swap meet, the only item I purchased was a pair of un-issued 1963 Texas black and white license plates for my 1963 Catalina Sport Coupe 421 HO. Starting in 1965, I attended the Pate Swap Meet at Cresson TX for 29 consecutive years. In 1995, the Pate Swap Meet at Cresson Texas moved to Texas Motor Speedway.

I found a lot of good parts at Pate Swap meet, with cheap Texas prices. In 1993, one purchase I remember especially was a 1963 Pontiac Tri-Power set up, including the big air cleaner, correct carburetors and the complete vacuum linkage, for $200. I carried that damned thing out to my truck by hand and it near killed me. By 2000, I had collected four 1963 Pontiac tri-power set ups. The 1994 Pate Swap Meet was the last one I attended. Now I am disabled with a heart condition and arthritis and do not go to swap meets anymore.

Two years ago I sold my two 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 HO and my Pontiac engines and collection of rare NOS and used parts to a race car builder and auto repair shop in Abilene Texas. Last year, the new owner won "Club Choice" with one of "my" 1963 Catalina 421 HO at a Car Show in Brownwood, Texas. The shop has various race cars including a 1963 Ford Falcon Ranchero Pro-Stock. I suppose it is a memorial to the late Jim "Mr. Ford" Butler's 1963 Ford Falcon 289 CI Ranchero NHRA Gasser from West Texas.

Last edited by MouseFink; 11-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.