Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Top things to do when buying a used motor to drop in.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Well im just looking for some advice from the old school. About to go hear a vortec 350 out of a wrecked 99 suburban, it has 179,000 miles on it for 300 bucks.. Apparantly it runs very well with no smoke or leaks, We will see

300 bucks on the complete engine leaves me about 600 in the budget. Dad sais if it runs and doesent smoke or tick-knock with zero leaks i should leave it the F alone, drop it in and drive it till it dies then do the rebuild i really want. which sounds like a pretty good idea since im in a big hurry to have transportation.

It would just be really hard to not touch it and i dont want to get left high and dry one day with no cash to fix it.... I have a little money now and thats rare with a three year old at 22. Its only getting worse too.

Buy a used carb and intake, Have a valve job done on the heads , mild aftermarket roller cam and hopefully used headers? Or would my money be beter spent all in the bottom end and aquire top end upgrades as i go? Or do as my dad sais leave it alone and spend the money on front end repairs.
Your dad is about right. If money is tight, and whose isn't, don't spend any more than necessary. If it is as you say, (sounds good, no smoke other than a wisp at startup) putting umbrella valve seals on it is fairly simple and needed upgrade. Check the timing chain for excessive play by rocking the crank clockwise and counterclockwise (easy with the plugs removed) and watching the distributor rotor. A couple of degrees of slop is acceptable. Any more than that will require a replacement set. That motor already has roller hydraulic cam and lifters so they will be fine. You can upgrade the cam later as $$ become available. Intakes and carbs abound for a small amount and so do headers. I've worked on many with 200K+ that are still very healthy. New technology is great! In vehicles that have used the synthetic lube most of their life, I've seen 150-200K without any noticeable ridge in the cylinders and the motors run forever. The head gaskets are the only unknown and their condition depends largely on the service the cooling system received (PH level) so I would not bother them unless they need replacement. Clean it and spray it. Good luck. Tom. (ASE master 30+yrs, shop owner)