Hot Rod Forum banner

Torino wont stay running

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jboy 
#1 ·
my father has a 1970 torino SCJ. It hasn't been running for quite a few years, we pulled it out of the garage last week ..I knew that the gas would be bad so I siphoned out all the old gas pulled the carb cleaned all the gunk out and put in a new carb kit in and cleaned the fuel filter . after everything was in place it ran fine ,for awhile then stalled out and will only run for a few seconds at a time now ..I cleaned the fuel filter again ..I have a feeling there's still some crap in the gas tank that I didn't get out ... Is there anyway to get left overs out of the tank with out pulling the tank its self...I was thing of pulling the fuel line before the pump then putting air in the tank and blowing out the old gas...any other ideas on what might work

#2 ·
I had the same problem w/a mustang I left in the garage for a few years with gas in the tank. What a mistake. Initially I siphoned out all the gas that I could and parked the car in the sun for a few days with the gas cap off. Then I fabricated a flexible extension hose for a tank type vacuum cleaner-this could be a hunk of garden hose duct taped to the vacuum's connector-and reversed the hose on the vacuum so that it was blowing instead of sucking, and completely dried out the tank with the warm air generated. Then I reversed the hose again and vacuumed out about a ton of crap, really, it must have been about a couple of quarts of dried up gas line clogging debris. I managed to get the tank pretty clean I think, and I'm sure the situation would have been greatly improved at this point, but I decided to pull the tank and fill it with a mixture of tap water and lye, which stripped all the remaining crud out. This worked, and eventually the car ran ok. If yopu vacuum the tank, try to avoid the area where the fuel level sensor is, as you don't want to damage this. Good luck..

I had the same problem w/a mustang I left in the garage for a few years with gas in the tank. What a mistake. Initially I siphoned out all the gas that I could and parked the car in the sun for a few days with the gas cap off. Then I fabricated a flexible extension hose for a tank type vacuum cleaner-this could be a hunk of garden hose duct taped to the vacuum's connector-and reversed the hose on the vacuum so that it was blowing instead of sucking, and completely dried out the tank with the warm air generated. Then I reversed the hose again and vacuumed out about a ton of crap, really, it must have been about a couple of quarts of dried up gas line clogging debris. I managed to get the tank pretty clean I think, and I'm sure the situation would have been greatly improved at this point, but I decided to pull the tank and fill it with a mixture of tap water and lye, which stripped all the remaining crud out. This worked, and eventually the car ran ok. If you vacuum the tank, try to avoid the area where the fuel level sensor is, as you don't want to damage this. Good luck..

I had the same problem w/a mustang I left in the garage for a few years with gas in the tank. What a mistake. Initially I siphoned out all the gas that I could and parked the car in the sun for a few days with the gas cap off. Then I fabricated a flexible extension hose for a tank type vacuum cleaner-this could be a hunk of garden hose duct taped to the vacuum's connector-and reversed the hose on the vacuum so that it was blowing instead of sucking, and completely dried out the tank with the warm air generated. Then I reversed the hose again and vacuumed out about a ton of crap, really, it must have been about a couple of quarts of dried up gas line clogging debris. I managed to get the tank pretty clean I think, and I'm sure the situation would have been greatly improved at this point, but I decided to pull the tank and fill it with a mixture of tap water and lye, which stripped all the remaining crud out. This worked, and eventually the car ran ok. If you vacuum the tank, try to avoid the area where the fuel level sensor is, as you don't want to damage this. Good luck..

#4 ·
Pulling a gas tank is not that difficult. 2 bolts hold the straps on, a fuel line and the sender wiring connector. Possibly a vent hose on the top of the tank also. Raise the back of the car and drop it down. (Be careful not to cut your hands with the sharp edges of the tank) The best way is to send it to a radiator shop and have it dipped or you can clean it at home using lacquer thinner. If its really rusty you can drop a lb. of roofing nails in it and shake it around till the rust is broken up, then wash it out with water and let it dry. You possibly will have continuing problems until the tank is properly cleaned. Also blow out the lines when the tank is out.

#5 ·
I should have mentioned also, that you should look for a hidden in-line fuel filter somewhere in the gas line, other than the one at the engine. My 69 pontiac has one of these, dont know about the torino, but if it does, it should be replaced or backwashed. Sounds unlikely that your fuel line is rusted up, try blowing some air thru there to check for restrictions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.