Torker vs. Performer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 09:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torker vs. Performer

I have a 327.

Most of the guys here say to go to the performer intake and 650
rather than the torkerII and 750 that I have now, because I want more torque.

But I have the torker cam to match and down the line when I save some doe, I was going to get rpm heads.

My question is do you guys think if I go to performer with smaller carb will that cam do well with them?

Or should I save up and get those heads, and would it be better?

Wich one really is the best ?

Advertisement

Last edited by da gas junkie; 12-28-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

well...Im not a big fan of the Torker cam...or intake for the most part..if your looking for torque. Torker really was a bad choice of names, however, if low speed torque & thorattle response, the Performer intake would work better. as far as carb size, I dont know what size engine you have, or what RPM range you intend to see with it.

oops, sorry...a 327.. yeah 650 CFM will support most 327s to well over 6500 RPMs
Old 12-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

From what I understand and have read, the Torker II intake is best used as a boat anchor......Seriously, go with a Performer RPM intake, or Performer RPM Air Gap if you can stand the looks of it. The cam that you have is made for higher rpms with a narrow power band. The Performer RPM should help out down low and not lose out on the upper end, but 327's are not known for their torque. 650-750, that is up to your engine and see what it likes, start out with the 650.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:04 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

TorkerIIs are just misnamed. They should be called the Victor JRjr. Excellent power in the 3500-6500 range. Most people build strong engines fully capable of running good but baby them around. This prevents the Torkers from reaching their potential 100%VE over a 1000rpm spread from about 4500-5500 rpm.... much like a 104 lobe seperation cam...great for all out racers but they suffer during stop and go traffic when high intake velocity is needed in the 1500-2500 rpm ranges.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:22 PM

$$$$$$$

327, 9.5 compression with headers.

Do you guys think a performer intake and 600 carb(didnt meen 650) is the best straight up off the line torque for my ap?

Or a TorkerII with 750 and its cam

Wild man has brought up another question.

Alot of poeple sware performer series for off idle torque rather then rpm.

Last edited by da gas junkie; 12-28-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:54 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I think that you should defanetly go with the smaller carb and a performer or performer RPM intake. Which intake to use will depend on the cam you have, and your future plans. I would go with the Performer RPM because it will match a set of RPM heads much better than a performer. As far as heads go, when you get to the point where you are serious about buying a set, look closely at AFR 180's. They WILL make considerably more hp and torque than the RPM heads for not much more money. If you want more info on those heads, search for them in the hotrodder forums. Find a place where I have debated for them.

Good luck
Adam
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

don't do Chevys but

the torker cam power band is 2500-6500

performer manifold is 1000-5500

don't use the torker cam with the performer

NXS wrote it right:

Race=torker, dump the clutch at 3500....
Street= performer or performer rpm intake and cams to match
Old 12-29-2004, 07:30 AM

if you already have the intake and carb use them.you can tune the carb down if you have to but really people think that because it isn't a big bore engine that it isn't capable of performing.it is.you should be more concerned with gearing.tighter gears should work better with your set up.if you don't like the way it runs you can change it later.this isn't an exact science.small valves, combustion chamber and intake runner will promote high velocity or good throttle response which is what you want on the street.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Torker vs Performer RPM

I seriously believe you would be happier with the 600 or 650 CFM carb and the Performer RPM or Air Gap vs the Torker. As many have already noted, the Torker is a misnomer, as it is not a manifold that produces abundances of torque, in the lower end.
A 600 CFM will supply your engine well past your cam and engine displacements needs. And the RPM or Air Gap will significantly improve your driveability on the street. I am presuming this is mostly a street driven vehicle that will occasionally do battle on the drag strip and/ or the Stop Light Grand Prix.
That being the case, driveability is far more critical than being able to turn a kazillion RPM, which your engine may well only see in less than 1% of its lifetime.

You could go to deeper gears, higher stall converter and all that but even with all that, you will just wind up with a higher gas bill at the end of the month, and wont see any worthwhile gains out of it on your street machine.
Since you are already running a stout cam, I would opt for the the Performer RPM or Air Gap, over the standard Performer, to restore your lower end power. You can probably survive ok with that Torker cam but the intake is your killer.
Even with good flowing heads, your displacement is as critical to power output as are the other factors. Your engine is relatively small in displacement so huge intake and head runners arent going to be that much of an advantage to you on a street vehicle, and in fact, could be detrimental to your usual range of engine speed and operation.

A little is good, but a lot isnt always gooder.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I agree with max, a 600 carb would work fine. One thing to think about is that you dont use a bigger carb to get more fuel. That may sound weird, but it is true. You use a bigger carb to get the airflow you want to match your engine, if it needs it. A carb that is too big will make your engine lazy at low speeds because the air at the carb will lack velocity, a carb that is too big, will run out of air on the top end. Its all about matching the parts, so that you have the highest velocity where you want it, which in your case is probably 6000 RPM or under. I also agree about the torquer. It is called the torquer because it produces a little more torque than a normal SINGLE PLANE. I am not yelling, I just wanted to stress that. The dual plane design of the performer series manifolds will make much more torque, and overall run better on your engine.

Adam
Old 12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I ran a Torker II with a 600 Holley and headers on a 71 Mustang that had a 302, auto trans for 4 or 5 years. The car had 4:10 gears and it still was slug off the line. The intake didn't really come in until 3000 rpm give or take a few hundred RPMs. I changed the intake to a Performer RPM and tire spin became a problem. There was a big difference in bottom end power, I was alot more happy with the Performer RPM. There wasn't that much of a difference at the top end. I am kind of surprised that Edelbrock still makers Torker intakes, the RPM and Victor series are superior to them. Torkers intakes are old technology, I would go with the Performer RPM or even a Weiand Stealth before using a Torker II.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

you will produce little torque with the single plane torquer. a good choice for a full race application, but would suck on a street driver. you need a performer dual plane style,to give maxium torque in a smaller cubic inch engine.

dont use the torquer cam! use a modern 260-268 style

Last edited by spinn; 12-29-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Torker vs Performer RPM

The only single plenum intake Ive ever had experience with that worked good on the street is the Weiand X-celerator, this due to it having a smaller than usual plenum for the style intake.
That being said, I would still opt for a dual plane intake for the street.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:30 PM

$$$

But what is best for off the line?

Perf. or perf. rpm?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

intakes

From what Ive been able to garner from this web site, theres little or no difference in which is actually better off the line.
However the RPM does definately work better in the mid and upper end. If I were running your engine, I think I would opt for the RPM, as its range is 1500-6500 vs 0-6000. Below 1500 RPM, your engine isnt doing that much either way.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.