Torque - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 05:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torque

Hello,

Im new to the forums here since it looked pretty popular Id thought id dive right in, Im in need of help I was pondering if theres anyway to build a torque monster wondering if its possible to get to atleast 600-800 ft lbs outs of a big block or small? I know displacement places a key in torque so lets just say big.

Ive got some money(12k) on hand was thinking of building a block from the bottom up, like to keep the hp a little lower then the torque. Any Idea?

Thanks.

-Billy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Never Give Up

What kind of motor do you want to build, ie. chevy, ford, mopar, olds, etc..?

If you never built a high end engine before you can get a good baseline by looking at what goes into the Crate Engines. First you need to do a little homework and figure out what engine block you want to start out with and then we can go from there! If you got 12k to spend I would absolutley go with a big block!

I'm a chevy guy, so I would look into the 383/427/454/502 engines.

If you a truely wanting to go with that much torque then I would go with the 502cui. You also have to consider what type of vehicle you want to put this monster in, also you need a good tranny and rear end to handle the power.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Go with the Olds 455 or Buick 455. They both are right around 500 ft. lbs of torque stock. Good place to start.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

600 lb/ft should be possible with a 502 and the proper parts selection. If you are wanting to make the 800 lb/ft, it will take forced induction or nitrous unless you want an engine that has to be reved to the sky and has nasty street manors. If an NA engine is making that kind of torque, you can count on it being race only.

Chris
Old 06-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

displacement is the game if you want big torque

that or boosting a smaller displacement.....

anyhew, anything over 500cid would be what i would choose. Ford had a 514cid crate that you could start off with, as well as the 502 chev allready suggested.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Re: Torque

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy909
Hello,

Im new to the forums here since it looked pretty popular Id thought id dive right in, Im in need of help I was pondering if theres anyway to build a torque monster wondering if its possible to get to atleast 600-800 ft lbs outs of a big block or small? I know displacement places a key in torque so lets just say big.

Ive got some money(12k) on hand was thinking of building a block from the bottom up, like to keep the hp a little lower then the torque. Any Idea?

Thanks.

-Billy
I have a massaged ZZ502 that puts out over 600lb/ft over 650hp for 2k less than your budget...
Old 06-06-2004, 05:34 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last journal entry: 78 El Camino
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by gpeak
Go with the Olds 455 or Buick 455. They both are right around 500 ft. lbs of torque stock. Good place to start.
A Caddy engine is hard too beat fot raw torque.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Shafiroff has a 632" shortblock for $6200. It'll get you what you're looking for with the right heads and cam. Give them a call at 631-218-7530. They will point you in the right direction.

Larry
Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by coldknock
Shafiroff has a 632" shortblock for $6200. It'll get you what you're looking for with the right heads and cam. Give them a call at 631-218-7530. They will point you in the right direction.

Larry
I wish I would have looked at that before I went down the ZZ502 road.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

http://www.shafiroff.com/ultrastreet.asp
Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I have to agree with the 632. combine a 632 with a set of 320cc Alum Canfields and you'll have a Torque monster!...

and dont bother with a flat tappet, go Roller!

then, if you still need more, add a 1071 blower to that 632 and BAM! there is a serious beast...lol...

2wld4u
Old 06-06-2004, 11:35 PM

Been thinking about just dropping 15 grand on a 800 hp big block merlin then supercharging it dunno where the numbers will be. This is for a 72 chevelle malibu currently running torque thrust wheels on a maroon/burgandy color.

Its well.. got a little chicken 307 under the hood *runs away and cries* makes me sick to my stomach but im willing to making into an earth shifting monster. Id like to get something that will snap off the line like some god evil monster.

Im 100% serious and passionate about american muscle being very anti rice cant stand those fat cannon 4 bangers.

0-60 in less then 3 seconds would be wonderful but I however am running 3.73's soon 4.10's with a torque converter. since its automatic.

Im not to keen on building 632 blocks myself. But indeed that marine monster would have so much torque with forced induction rip my chassis in half

Last edited by Billy909; 06-06-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:45 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last journal entry: 78 El Camino
Last photo:

Quote:
0-60 in less then 3 seconds would be wonderful but I however am running 3.73's soon 4.10's with a torque converter. since its automatic.
4.10's from 3.73's won't feel all that different. Consider some 4.56's.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy909
Been thinking about just dropping 15 grand on a 800 hp big block merlin then supercharging it dunno where the numbers will be. This is for a 72 chevelle malibu currently running torque thrust wheels on a maroon/burgandy color.

Its well.. got a little chicken 307 under the hood *runs away and cries* makes me sick to my stomach but im willing to making into an earth shifting monster. Id like to get something that will snap off the line like some god evil monster.

Im 100% serious and passionate about american muscle being very anti rice cant stand those fat cannon 4 bangers.

Im not to keen on building 632 blocks myself. But indeed that marine monster would have so much torque with forced induction rip my chassis in half
You will have a ton of work to do on everything that goes behind a motor like that. and unless your running some serious rubber, don't even fret about gear ratios!

Last edited by Miket; 06-07-2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:56 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

nah, hey I have a 72 that pulls the left front with a solid roller 355! and thats N/a, all you really need is a potent Big Block, a 502/502 is plenty with a good gear, and the 4.10's is a good gear...

I know, you'll never hook 800 ftlbs with a stock suspention, my 72 Hooks hard with a bone stock suspention and a set of 26x10 MCcrearys, Id buy the 502/502 and concentrate on hooking it up, then later on add a few bolt on's and a supercharger if you feel the need, or hey! my 355 is for sale, runs on 87, and all I do is add 114 and some timing at the track for some hoop pulling action...

and, the best part is the price... 4340 GM forged crank, Gm "pink Rods" BRC forged Flat tops, PTL Iron 2.02 1.60's, Victor JR intake, MSD billet distrib, Solid Roller cam, 1.6 Roller rockers, Gm racing Valve covers, 800 DP Holley..Fresh and ready to go for 3800$

hey, just a thought...and this is a serious engine, just because I can run Pump gas doesnt mean squat...its just had the attention of 2wld...lol

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.