Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - torque converter for 283 in a jeep
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepracer427 View Post
hi, i just recently changed the motor out of my jeep with a 283. the 283 came out of a 67 chevelle.
what i know about the motor-
-it is cammed (not sure on specs)
-it has the factory 4 bbl intake
-an edelbrock 1406
-power pack heads
-hei distributor

i have a th350, dana 300 t/c and factory gearing (have to check on ratio's)
im also not sure what the stall speed on the converter because the guy i got it off said it was just a factory stall. i previously had a 305 in it (thats what he got the converter for). it is a real dog taking off (almost to the point where it stalls) but when it gets to about 15-20 mph and i hit the gas, it takes off pretty hard.

my theory is the 305 had the torque at lower rpms unlike the 283, and it is not allowing it to move. any ideas? do i need a higher stall? or is there something else?
The first thing I would do is get the timing advance curve worked out. More on that here. Because if the timing isn't right, it will not run right even w/a looser torque converter.

I'm sure you're familiar w/the term "lope" when talking about the idle quality of a cammed up engine. Does the engine have a lot of lope or does it idle relatively smoothly? You should use a vacuum gauge and see what the idle vacuum is- that will also give an idea of the size of the cam.