Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

torque converter c6 what one?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
So I have a 79 F250 4x4 that I'm overhauling the c6. I've got the broader "500hp" overhaul kit plus a one way clutch and a extra forward drum friction and steel (to swap out wave plate). What torque converter do I use? There's so many... I just want a cheap stock one..

Greg

#2 ·
The higher the stall speed for a convertor usually means it will be smaller.Therefore less fluid,which will mean for the trans to run hotter.You could bump it up tp 2700 or maybe 3000 stall.But why bother unless you have a motor that's has some added zip to it.Why don't you have your convertor flushed and tested,or replace it with a oem.Just cause you put a shift kit,and some better cluches doesn't mean you got 500 hp.
Good luck,Paisano

#3 ·
The Flyin *** said:
The higher the stall speed for a convertor usually means it will be smaller.Therefore less fluid,which will mean for the trans to run hotter.You could bump it up tp 2700 or maybe 3000 stall.But why bother unless you have a motor that's has some added zip to it.Why don't you have your convertor flushed and tested,or replace it with a oem.Just cause you put a shift kit,and some better cluches doesn't mean you got 500 hp.
Good luck,Paisano

See this is why I don't use the forums as much these days. Tired of all the silly answers.. I'm not gonna debate the strength of a c6 with aftermarket parts that I DID put in and you don't know about. Your post just wastes space and time. It didn't help me, not even a little.. You must not have read my post.. Posts like this make both me and you look just plain silly and that's not what I'm after. That's what the kit is called by broader (too bad you don't research before posting) if you really needed to know. It most certainly isn't the only thing done to this trans.. That isn't what this topic is about..

I don't want a higher stall in my stock F250 with a 351m. All I want is a stock one, problem is there's too many to choose from. If I get the measurements and find a low stall does it matter?

I understand how they work because of my BBC and am not asking about that.. I wanted to get a stock one from like napa but they don't carry that kinda stuff..

Example: when you search stock torque converter (all 12.5") it lists FM105, FM127, FM128 and more! Why is there so many? If I measure the bolt circle and pilot diameter and get a low stall that fits those specs does it matter what one I get?

Sorry if at first I seem rude. I just need the answer to this question and he didnt even come close to looking at my questions, I'm not looking for a higher stall torque converter. As I said just a cheap stock one (not weak as I tow) just stock.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.