Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Torque converter, diesel vs gas
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torque converter, diesel vs gas

I bought a 1982 Chevy 6.2 diesel half ton with a bad transmission in it $250. It has a th400 in it and I pulled the transmission and someone had tried to rebuild it and it only had 4 check balls in it among other rebuilding mistakes. It was impossible for the truck to run with the transmission like it was and I am rebuilding it. There was no metal in the pan and the torque converter seems OK. The motor sounds good but have not been able to drive it on the highway to verify it is a good motor, the truck itself is a solid truck and was used on the farm with no tag for public roads.

My question is should I replace the torque converter when I put the transmission back in or use the old one? If the engine turns out to be bad I have a 400 to replace it with. I don't want to spend the money for a new diesel torque converter which has 6 bolts and then have to replace it with a standard 3 bolt torque converter. Does anyone know what the difference between the two, could I use the six bolt on the 400 and just use three bolts? This is our first diesel, Thanks for your help.