Torque Converter Failure - TH350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 07:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Torque Converter Failure - TH350

Can someone explain what I should be looking for in the initial failure stage of a torque converter. I think I may have one going bad but since Iíve never blown one out, Iím not sure if Iím looking in the right place. Let me explain:

Stats first..

TH 350 in an 81 Camaro. Transmission sits behind a supercharged 383. I wonít burn up the thread with all the engine details, but the calculated HP for the setup should be around 450+ hp. I rebuilt the transmission about 800 miles ago (my first rebuild Ė may be some of the problem..) One of the bad choices I made during the build-up was to purchase a ďbargainĒ 2400 stall converter on E-Bay. I donít remember the brand name, but I hadnít heard of them before, and Iím sure you all havenít either.

Anyway Ė 5 or 600 miles of break-in around town and I went to the strip for 10 or 12 all out runs on an 1/8 mile track. I now have what sounds a bit like a bearing failure somewhere in the drive train. I have the noise regardless of the gear, or even if the car is moving. Iím targeting the torque converter because I have no dought that I greatly exceeded the abuse this cheapo torque convert should take.

Long story short, can someone give me some examples of TC failure signs and / or experience? Or maybe TC failure is more catastrophic instead of slowly (i.e. ďself-destruct"). Your experience and advice is appreciated

Thanks
- Stan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a very similar un-explained noise shortly after rebuilding my th350 too. A very high pitched squeel at all times. It got worse as the engine temp went up. I stopped by a tranny shop and they said its most likely the converter. They surmised that it was put together with too much preload on the torrington bearing inside. I returned the converter under warantee and the new one is fine now, no squeel since changing it out.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.