Torque Converter Flushing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Torque Converter Flushing?

The rear clutches in my trans let go and I am needing to have the torque converter flushed since I am having the trans rebuilt. My question is, how affective is flushing the converter? Can it be done at home by pouring new fluid in and draining it back out a couple of times or until clean fluid comes out, or should I pay a shop $40 to do it? My converter has a drain plug and when I first drained it after it let go the fluid didn't look that bad. It was a little discolored, but I didn't see any signs of metal shavings in it. The trans was rebuilt less than a 100 miles ago and I have a new J&W 10" 3500 stall converter. The trans shop that done the rebuild before gave me my money back and I took the trans to a speed shop to have a good rebuild done.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM

Well first off, you will never get a good flush by doing it yourself. If it was me I would be more than willing to send it out to a shop and let them put it on their machine and power flush it. The smallest partical could destroy a valve in the valve body.

Just don't forget to fill the converter before you reinstall everything, or you will burn your pump.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenches4hands
Just don't forget to fill the converter before you reinstall everything, or you will burn your pump.
No you won't, my boss and I reinstall converter's dry 100% of the time and have had no problems whatsoever relating to the pump from that. It will suck in the fluid regardless of whether you fill it dry but I do agree on having someone else flush it out for you unless you wanna chance it cleaning it out as best you can.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Dont you just love Gen X
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wormy
Dont you just love Gen X
Using age as an arguement? Tsk tsk.. Amazing how you're using these "hard facts" in order to dispell my opinion.. You're offering nothing of technical value to back up your arguement and instead resort to attacking my age, you're a smart fella aren't ya? Plenty of others on this site agree that you don't have to fill up the converter prior to installing it. 4-6 quarts in depending on the tranny, start it up and have someone fill it up to the proper amount immediately after cranking. Congratulations, I have an opinion, I wanted to contribute on what I deal with every day at work and you break out that gen X crap. You need to learn that other people, even young gen X'ers can have opinions based on experience. Just because my experience may be different from yours does not make mine wrong. But hey, I'm only 18 so what do I know..
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Classix Lover - just let it in one ear and out the other. A guy in his mid 40's that has worked on cars his whole life told me and a buddy this about a month ago: "Hey man, you guys are young and you need to listen to the old guys, but don't be afraid to do it your own way cause you are smart enough to maybe figure something better out".

Mine is another vote for sending the converter out to be flushed.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
Using age as an arguement? Tsk tsk.. Amazing how you're using these "hard facts" in order to dispell my opinion.. You're offering nothing of technical value to back up your arguement and instead resort to attacking my age, you're a smart fella aren't ya? Plenty of others on this site agree that you don't have to fill up the converter prior to installing it. 4-6 quarts in depending on the tranny, start it up and have someone fill it up to the proper amount immediately after cranking. Congratulations, I have an opinion, I wanted to contribute on what I deal with every day at work and you break out that gen X crap. You need to learn that other people, even young gen X'ers can have opinions based on experience. Just because my experience may be different from yours does not make mine wrong. But hey, I'm only 18 so what do I know..
Although I totally agree that it is not crucial to fill the converter prior to installation, the fact does remain that since these parts are assembled with very close tolerances it is a very good idea to put a quart or two of fluid in them to act as instant lubrication prior to installation just to save yourself from that "first time" scenario when it doesn't work as advertised. An ounce of prevention??? Do you know the saying?

Sometimes it takes years of doing this to figure out the safe ways to do things...just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean that it won't.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wormy
Dont you just love Gen X
I try not to because society frowns upon the age difference thing.
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Although I totally agree that it is not crucial to fill the converter prior to installation, the fact does remain that since these parts are assembled with very close tolerances it is a very good idea to put a quart or two of fluid in them to act as instant lubrication prior to installation just to save yourself from that "first time" scenario when it doesn't work as advertised. An ounce of prevention??? Do you know the saying?

Sometimes it takes years of doing this to figure out the safe ways to do things...just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean that it won't.
Yes, I agree with that as well that it doesn't hurt to make sure nothing goes wrong, if I'm ever assembling a tranny for myself, sure I will go ahead and go the extra mile and fill the converter with a quart or two just for assurance but I have neverrr seen something go wrong in the tranny relating to the converter being dry and neither has my boss (he's been in the business for around 20 years) You don't "have" to fill the converter if you don't want to, but still the fact remains that he is completely immature in attacking my age and probably will criticize how I know nothing and dismiss my presence. Believe me, I was being polite when I adressed his "comment" but nothing is quite as annoying as someone telling you that you don't know anything because of your age Geez, I can't remember the last time I've been so serious and not joke around like usual haha
Old 07-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I post this with a smile:

Kids...... please stay on topic which is a discussion about converter flushing.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley

Kid?? Whaaattt?!? Lol I'm just messing around sorry about speaking my mind but I felt it had to be adressed! I'm sure you understand though but I must restrain myself before this thread goes to the dummmpp
Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Read This

"I believe with a good head on your shoulders, the willingness to learn and the proper tools, anyone can do anything on their car, that is the drive behind hot rodding, half of the fun is just doing it. none of of us would now jack squat if we didn't have the need or the want to learn."

I can't and won't argue that point. There are knowledgeable people are here to help those that need it. The problem that seems to keep showing up is that there are alot of people that keep answering posts that don't really know what they are talking about. We are lucky to have Airworld and Crosley to help on this board. I did transmissions for a number of years, (documented over 5000 rebuilds) then got out of it because of back problems. I read their posts trying to learn more about the newer units. I regularly see people that don't know jack, that are telling people the wrong stuff. Like the reason that the trans isn't shifting is because of no vacuum or a bad modulator, when that trans has no modulator. Or to change the fluid and everything will be OK. Changing the fluid, rarely if ever, fixes a trans problem.

People need to keep in mind that the average rodder does not have a lift in their garage. This means that needlessly changing the fluid in their trans, means laying on their back with the vehicle up on jack stands, and likely getting covered with fluid that they had to buy. To me that is not helping them.

Having watched these posts for a couple of months I have seen several people that have ask the simplest questions, then a couple of days/weeks later, they are answering questions on the same subject like they are experts. Seems like there are alot of people that fit the category of, "Yesterday I couldn't even spell "MECHANIC", today I are one."

this is from 2003-metal in trans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley

I sure hope that you are not including myself into this statement.

It has already been addressed that to properly "flush" a converter requires special equipment.

I do agree that assuming one's age must also mean that they are complete idiots is improper...yet experience over the years counts for a lot.

To end my thoughts on this thread, if a flush is what is desired then the converter must be flushed with the correct equipment. Just trying to rinse it out with fresh fluid may result in many contaminents being removed but is definately not a flush.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I installed a TCI convertor dry, didīnt read the instructions, the pump was okay but the convertor got trashed very quick.
I swapped in a B/M one next and was sure to fill it with a quart of fluid.
The B/M was then taken out of my stock trans and installed into a B/M trans I bought, and thatīs getting on for five years ago.
I ask the question, does it take so long or is it so inconvenient to fill the convertor with fluid beforehand ?
When it starts to spin on startup itīs going to need some lubrication in there.
I did mine with the car on four jackstands and installing the filled convertor did not bathe me in fluid.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

And sticking on the subject: After loosing a driveshaft during a chassis dyno run and breaking the trans case into three sections, I needed to get the crud out of the torque converter. I called the major converter manufacturers and then stopped by and talked to the specialty trans shops in my area. Everyone said that the converter flushing would not remove the metal particles. They further stated that commercial flushing would remove old fluid, but not the contaminants. At this point I took the converter to the guy that originally set it up and I stayed while he cut it open for inspection. Although the engine was shut down as quickly as possible after the failure on the dyno, there were tiny metal particles embedded in bushings and stuck down where the fins were brazed to the shell. After looking at this, I fully agree that no amount of external flushing is going to get the crap out of the converter, and those particles will eventually ruin the converter and then the original particles and the new ones from the failing converter are going to circulate into the trans.

I was also under the opinion that putting fluid in the converter wasn't for the trans, it was so the bushings and sprag in the converter wouldn't have to run dry until the trans pumped up the supply into the converter. Just a safety thing so they wouldn't gall from running dry.

By the way, the driveshaft let go at 5,800 RPM and 129 MPH under full load. There was a driveshaft loop which worked until the shaft bowed enough to slip out the rear. The 3" exhaust system took most of the beating and did a fair job in saving the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed_parts.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	13379  

Last edited by lust4speed; 07-14-2006 at 12:52 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.