torque converter identification - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Big Block 454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

torque converter identification

Before I set my motor back in the bay I would like to know if anybody can help me identify the torque converter on my tranny. I have no idea of who put it in or where it came from because the car was a stick from factory. Anyway here is what I do know:
-th700r4 tranny
-splines on the converter is 24 with 3 wider ones? Does this = 27 spline? These are the splines closest to the back side of the converter.
-numbers on the converter is 102301 with the letters DEF written on it.

Does that help anybody? Maybe I need more info if I can get it. I surely do not want a high stall with the motor I built.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Diameter Check

I can't help you with the part# check but if you measure the diameter of the converter you might get an idea whether it's built for economy or high stall.

If it's a small diameter, like 13" or smaller it's a for sure it's probably a high stall(3,000 rpm or more maybe). Also, because most aftermarket high stall converters can be made from stock cores with modified internals, a larger converter diameter with a stock part number on the case does not guarantee it's super mild unless you know for sure it is stock to that vehicle and not modified. If you have some pictures of or have another known stock converter around to compare you might be able to see a difference in the shape of the converter on yours if it's a larger diameter high stall one. The higher stall ones usually have a much more bulbous look to them.

A local trans shop could probably be a big help on this one. If the trans is of unknown origin it is usually pretty cheap to either get the converter rebuilt at the local trans shop or buy a stock rebuilt one from a local trans supply shop. I bought one for my turbo 350 through the local shop years ago, they could pretty much tell what the stall would be by looking at the stator and impeller when it was apart. I remember years ago my wife's camaro had a front seal leak and after putting the car back together it still leaked, turned out it was a cracked neck weld on the converter. I went to a big wholesale trans supply shop and they sold me a fresh rebuilt for like $60.00, this was about 20yrs ago though. I think some of the bigger shops can actually test the converter for stall speed before putting it in the vehicle.

It's a smart bet to go with a fresh converter when it's already apart, losing a trans from a worn converter is pretty common. You can usually specify your stall speed if they are going to build one for you, usually way cheaper than the Jeggs or Summitt route if you know what I mean.

I am not sure the spline count has much to do with anything other than verifying it will physically fit into your front pump.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Big Block 454

Last photo:

Thanks for that information. One more question I have is which splines do I count to Identify whether it is a 30 spline or an older 27 spline. I have 2 sets of splines on the input shaft. also the converter is 13"

Last edited by chewyscool; 08-05-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

I think I mis-spoke on the converter diameter, a 13" is probably stock diameter. 10-12" converters are the screamers. At least on t-350's, also if you want to make sure the spline count is right just try putting it into the trans. Make sure line it up with both the pump tangs(notches on the converter neck) and the input shaft. If it won't go then you know you have a problem.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 PM

700r4 torque converter ID

This site gives GM codes for the 700r4 torque converter

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...e=4L60-700R4tc
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Big Block 454

Last photo:

I see the code on that site and have gathered alot from it.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyscool
Thanks for that information. One more question I have is which splines do I count to Identify whether it is a 30 spline or an older 27 spline. I have 2 sets of splines on the input shaft. also the converter is 13"
The innermost, smaller shaft is the input. 27 or 30 spline. The other larger splined shaft is stationary.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Big Block 454

Last photo:

thanks c10 the small shaft has 30 and the larger has 27. So I will be needing a 30 spline converter right??????????
Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Correct. 30 splines on the shaft that is the smaller of the two.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.