torque converter IDENTIFICATION - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

torque converter IDENTIFICATION

can anyone help with identifiying gm torque converters.
i have many stock ones laying around and some are diff. from the others. such as, some of the torque converters have a bent piece of steel welded to the converter and you put the bolt through the flexplate and converter and tighten down with a nut.
i belive these to be pre 1980'.
then i have other torque converters that have a treaded boss welded on to them (so as to eliminate the use of the nut.) i believe these kind to be 1980 and later.

but really i dont know.

also, has anyone had a problem with the torque converter pulling forward (about a 1/2") when bolting up pre 80' trannys with late 80's small blocks? or vise versa?

thanks bondo smash:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 08:25 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The earlier Th 350 and TH 400 convertors in Chebbys had the bolt/nut combos. The convertor should pull up to the flexplate. I doubt that it is as much as 1/2", but may look like it.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

it was at least 1/2" gap in fact i had to take that tranny out because when i would drive, it would leak right behind the conv. so i removed the tranny thinking i had to replace the front seal and that would fix everything. but that wasnt it. the conv. actually had to be slid forward so far the contact the flexplate that it would leak regardless of a good front seal. it was a 350c (lockup)
i now have a regular 350th (nonlockup) in it and hopefully it will not leak the same. the gap with it is in fact smaller when installed the same.
when the 350c was in i could get underneath the truck and using the trouble light i could actually see up in there and see the whole seal, (the seal and the fluid actually dripping out.)

now i have the 350th in i can just barely see the lip of the orange edge of the seal. (significantly less)

i understand this all sounds strange and i would be skeptical. so i am still looking at and checking out the 350c and conv. while i have it out.

thanks for the opinions
bondo
Old 03-20-2005, 07:15 AM
old dog learning new tricks

With a search this thread was as close as I could get to an answer without one.
I have a converter from a late model {30 spline} 700r4 that I was told is a high stall. But he didn't know, among other things like brand, if it is lock-up or non-lock-up {3rd party purchase}.
How can I tell what brand and whether it is a lock-up unit or not?
Also is there a way to tell if the converter is good before installing it?
HERE is the UPC tag I peeled off of the coverter if that helps.
Also, if this is a non-lock-up converter, what will I need to do to make it work in a 96 4l60e tranny that has been running a lock-up converter?

327amc; Years ago I ran into a situation on a powerglide where there was so much space between the converter and flex plate that when I bolted them together the drive slots on the converter that drive the pump did not mesh. I band-aid fixed it by adding spacers {flat washers} between the converter and plate. It worked fine but I was not pushing a lot of power. I suppose this would be a weak link in a high power application.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I will address a concern here;

if you are using a 1996 4L60E tranny, it MUST have the correct converter clutch lining if the PWM lock up system is in operation.

The PWM system applies the lock up clutch in a slow smooth slipping manner. If you have the early lock up clutch material inside the converter , it will burn up.

A knowledgable converter person possibly ID the converter for you and determine if the lock up hardware is inside the converter. The tag may be a true indicator if the converter is an OEM unit and not a custom built unit.

If you wish to use a non lock up setup in the 60E tranny , there is a TransGo conversion valve for this. You will also need to modify the PCM programing so it does not look for RPM slipage indicators when the tranny would normally be in the lock up mode. IF the PCM detects what it thinks is slipage of the converter clutch outside programed in parameters , it will set a hard trouble code
Old 03-26-2005, 06:23 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Thanks for the reply Crosley. I took it to a friend that owns a transmission shop and he said that it is a lock-up style with the clutch hardware in it which is what I was hoping for. I don't want to run a non-lockup style, especially with gas prices going sky high.
Do you think I can allow for the earlier material by locking the converter quicker via reducing the shift delay in the PCM program for the TCC apply? The program I'm running now which has this value unchanged from stock has the delay set at 0.5 seconds.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.