Hot Rod Forum banner

Torque converter question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Greg T 
#1 ·
My 83 Silverado has a 355 sbc and a th350 trans in it. The torque converter I bought(and I probably shouldn't have) was supposidly a knock-off B&M with a 2200 to 2400 stall. It never has stalled out at all and works like a stock converter. Could a faulty converter cause a torque loss off the line? I don't know how the inside of these things work. Seems like my power isn't getting back to the wheels.

#3 ·
I'm in the middle of a head change but I had 461 heads on it, xe268h cam, performer rpm intake, 650 dp, and an eagle bottom end with flat top pistons. It's in a 83 4X4 truck with 3.08 gears and 31" tires. I would think I would at least be able to stall this converter out. I've played with timing and still no tire fire. Just read an article in knowledge base and now feel like a dumb@$$ for asking my question.

#7 ·
Its not stalling at 2200 to 2400 rpm, more like 1200 rpm. I want to do 3.73's gears but time and cash are coming short so it'll have to wait. I bought the 2200-2400 stall so I could get more power off the line but since it's not stalling out all the way it's supposed to I can't even break tire, 2500rpm and above it really pulls hard. Gears are killin me, I can go 65 mph in first gear!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.