Hot Rod Forum banner

Torque Converter Stall Speed

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
Here's my question: is a 3000 RPM stall torque converter considered "streetable"? What stall speed defines the difference between a street and a strip car? :confused:

#2 ·
Torque converter Stall speed

There are a lot of hot rods running on the street with 3000 stall speed converters. Some of them need this much stall,some of them don't.

Careful consideration,a little research,advice from your engine builder,or camshaft supplier,is important,when choosing how much stall you need,and can utilize.

#4 · (Edited)
I think that the term streetable is relative to one's personal threshold of ridiculousness.

There are 9 and 10 second "race cars" street driven every day that I wouldn't ride across a parking lot in them. Just look at the "real street car drag challenges". Drive 30 miles in traffic and then drag race. The drive is a bigger challenge than the drag races. I would not drive one of these 5 miles to work every day, but some people do.

Roaring around with 4" Flowmasters and a 5000 stall getting 4 mpg is not my idea of a street car.

I drive a Lincoln TownCar :thumbup: and make straaange tire noises with my rods. :D But, hey, I'm over 35 now and the last ticket goes off my record next month. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.