torque converter upgrade to avoid detonation? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2005, 12:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

torque converter upgrade to avoid detonation?

Hi guys! I had another thread going on the topic. Basically, my 383 pings at around 2000 rpms with the th350 tranny in either 2nd or 3rd gear. This is with a 2000 rpm torque converter. I guess the engine is lugging causing the ping.

What if I bought and installed a 2400 rpm torque converter? This will shift my engine's power band into a more favorable position, right? Will this prevent the detonation? Or will the detonation start going at a different RPM range?

Here is the old thread with some details:
http://www.hotrodders.com/t61953.htm...383+detonation

Thanks!
Denis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 03:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Id combat the detonation via timing and tune before I started tossing torque converters at it. While yes, the engine will see less load due to the higher stall, I dont believe this to be an appropriate way to cure detonation.

What measures have you taken already to fix this?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:19 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

With your quench of 0.078in is your problem.
Why would you ever build a motor with that much is a guess.
There has been very much discussion about the topic.
Anything over .060 is asking for detonation.
Change the head gaskets.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

The 2,400 stall will help, but you should fix the quench first. After you fix the quench work on the tuning.

2,400 is a good street stall. That is what I use in my everyday car. I have 3,200 stall in my all out fast car, but 3,200 gets annyoning after a while.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:06 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

i looked at your other thread.

Since you don't say it pings in Drive (3rd) i'll assume it doesn't?
If so it sounds like a VACUUM ADVANCE problem, with there being more load in Drive there will be less vacuum. B/C there is less load in 1st and 2nd that leads me to believe you can tune it out.

How does it run with the vacuum advance disconnected & plugged?

If that doesn't help get an adjustable MODULATOR VALVE for the transmission. They have a tiny screw inside the nipple the vac. hose plugs on. This will allow you to taylor your shiftpoints at the turn of a screw(2750rpm).

Also try retarding the cam. This will move the POWERBAND up in the RPM range.

And the idea of a stall is good also. In general these aren't just "band-aid" fixes, the system must be set-up to work together. If you do each of the above you will probably get away with 91 octane, despite your excessive quench.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Last journal entry: 50 chev p/u project
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD80
With your quench of 0.078in is your problem.
There has been very much discussion about the topic.
Anything over .060 is asking for detonation.
Change the head gaskets.
Ok Um what is a "quench" ? new one on me
Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quench is the distance from the crown, or top, of the piston to the flat surface of the head. Generally speaking anything between 0.035" and 0.060" is acceptable for a performance engine. Less is better to a point, you don't want actual contact.

The idea is that the piston comes as close to the head as possible and sends the mixture shooting across the combustion area at a high rate of speed. This speeds up combustion and helps to cool localized hot spots. It reduces the chance of detonation.

Larry
Old 05-22-2005, 09:37 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

car guy, just do a search for "quench" from the tools at the top of the page. You will find something like 406 threads, many discuss quench in detail. Happy reading!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Ok next question: How would you check/measure this when building? I've built 3 engines so far & never even heard of that, I know if there's contact you get the piston slap like if you were to over rev a tired engine.

thanks for the help

Dan
Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddRodder
car guy, just do a search for "quench" from the tools at the top of the page. You will find something like 406 threads, many discuss quench in detail. Happy reading!!!
ok thanks, you must have replied just as I posted the last one
Old 05-22-2005, 09:57 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

There are many variables to the "quench effect" and not everyone agrees what works best. The effect appears to be greater with flat-top or dish pistons when compared to pop-ups. And, some head designs don't have a quench area to speak of (HEMI)!!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Guys, thanks a lot for your input. I will go over a few questions:
Quote:
Id combat the detonation via timing and tune before I started tossing torque converters at it.
I've done it. Bought an adjustable distributor vac. canister, diff. weights and springs. The engine was retarted way down to 2* BDTC, ran hot, sluggish etc. Bought a new distributor Mallory HEI. Now my BDTC is 7* with total at 31* by 2800-2900* rpms.
Quote:
What measures have you taken already to fix this?
- verified my TDC - checked right on the timing mark
- installed 160* t-stat
- alum. radiator
- colder spark plugs
- started mixing diff. octane gas (racing + 91), currently running avgas and 91 (50/50)
- richened up my 750 carb
Quote:
Change the head gaskets.
That was my first engine, I am a newbie. I wish I would have sincerely known the side-effects of the quench.
- My current gasket thickness is 0.026". Is there anything out there thinner than that?
Quote:
Since you don't say it pings in Drive (3rd) i'll assume it doesn't?
If I take off in D (drive), the tranny shifts too quick, so I am going at 15-20 mpm in the 3rd, thus lugging the engine. At 2000 rpm I start hearing the rattling noise. That's why I figured to replace the t-converter with a higher stall.
Quote:
How does it run with the vacuum advance disconnected & plugged?
I've tried that with the same effect. I replaced the springs with the most stiff ones to avoid the advance coming in too quick.
Quote:
If that doesn't help get an adjustable MODULATOR VALVE for the transmission.
I rebuilt the tranny with a kit that had the adj. modulator. Right now the screw is turned all way in. This helped a lot with pinging, however in stop and go traffic it occasionally still happens.

Should I get copper(?) head gaskets that are thinner than mine?

I need another torque converter for a stock pickup truck I just bought. I will leave my current 1900-2000 rpm one for that and get a new one for Camaro. Should I aim for a B&M 2400 rpm t-conv. or go with a more radical one?

If I go with a 72cc heads, will quench cause the same problems I am having now with my 64cc heads? I am just trying to avoid to pull the engine out and rebuild it again with zero-decking etc.

Thanks again for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

Denis
'67 Camaro RS
Old 05-22-2005, 02:25 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Oh, i gotcha now. It shifts too quick, lugs the engine then pings! Does your kickdown/TV cable have any adjustment in it? if not

--better get that stall--

and with .026" headgaskets you have .085" quench? are these the wrong pistons? did you use rosin core solder b/c it can expand.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

The 76cc head should lower your compression ratio and this would theoretically let you run lower octane fuel without pinging/detonation. I am not sure that the solder rod method for measuring quench height would provide a good measurement (assuming you pushed in through an open spark plug hole and cranked the engine). Standard deck height (distance from top of block to top of piston at TDC) on most engine rebuilds for SBC is about 0.025 inches. More than likely this is what you have. Adding about 0.038 inches (for the width of the head gasket) to the deck height would put you at about 0.063 inches which is reasonable.

Your basic problem is the compression ratio with the iron heads, as previously suggested. I ran into this same problem running 9.7:1 this past week with a 383 vortec setup I recently completed. It ran fine on 93 octane pump gas with the total timing (mechanical) at 35 degrees and with the Proform distributor factory vacuum advance. However, it wouldn't run without pinging on 91 octane even with the timing significantly retarded.

I solved the problem by disconnecting and plugging the vacuum advance canister and the vacuum port on the carburetor. I set the total mechanical advance to 34 degrees and have totally eliminated the detonation issue with running 91 octane gas. May not work for you, but itís worth a try if you haven't tried it already.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

You need race gas unless you are running over 11.5:1 compression. Running more octane than needed is bad for your engine. It seems a lot of people run it just to be able to say they do.

9.7:1 is nothing. There were other issues other than compression if you were seeing detonation with 91 octane. The vacuum advance being one of them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.