Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Torque & HP for 355 SB Chevy
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2002, 10:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Considering the weight of your car, you need to focus on overcoming gravity. So focus on toraue production and consider making it a 383. The cam you have selected will require a high stall converter which will generally wake up your car a lot. Go with at least a 3000 rpm stall. That cam is pretty big for daily driving and you will see your mileage go down the toilet with that cam.

Everybody is looking for performance and the stark reality is that the more power you produce at higher rpms, the less driveable it is at lower rpms. Seriously, you can end up with a car which is a total dog going to the grocery store. So define carefully what your objective really are and keep asking questions until you get there.

I remember building a sport car which had an aggressive cam and big carbs. It would scream from 5000 rpm to 8000 but at 3000 I would put the accelrator down and nothing would happen. Any 18 wheeler would out accelerate me on the freeway at legal speeds.