Torque plate honing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torque plate honing

How important is torque plate honing for a street/occasional strip 383 stroker.. 4-500 hp?

I picked up a fresh 350 block, bored +.030, honed, decked to 9.10 from the machine shop. The guy working told me that it had been honed without the torque plate. I understand torquing a head down will slightly change the shape of the cylinder, but is it enough to need to have the process redone?

Also, if the block was already prepped and ready to go at +.030, wouldnt it need to be bored to +.040 if I needed to rehone it using the deck plate?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

Thousands of SBC engines have been built without b-plate honing. Great to have, but not a must have, for a mild street engine.

The block can be re-honed with a block plate and not be hurt. Depending on equipment and operator skill. Also actual piston size.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 377MONTE View Post
How important is torque plate honing for a street/occasional strip 383 stroker.. 4-500 hp?

I picked up a fresh 350 block, bored +.030, honed, decked to 9.10 from the machine shop. The guy working told me that it had been honed without the torque plate. I understand torquing a head down will slightly change the shape of the cylinder, but is it enough to need to have the process redone?

Also, if the block was already prepped and ready to go at +.030, wouldnt it need to be bored to +.040 if I needed to rehone it using the deck plate?
The last time I ran into this, a friend had bought a block the same as yours- bored, then honed w/o a plate. The guy insisted we do something about this, so I ended up ordering him a set of forged SpeedPro pistons that had a wider piston to wall clearance. That gave the shop just enough to rehone the bores w/a plate.

It wasn't a bad thing in his case because he intended to run it hard and said he was thinking about running nitrous, too. But as said, it's not an absolute necessity for a street engine. But at 500 hp, I would rather have it plate honed.

BTW there's a difference between a 400 and a 500hp engine as far as the rpm it needs to turn. IMO the more power and rpm the engine will see, the more need there is for plate honing. So w/that in mind, I would recommend you build this one on the milder side.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

The better a job you do assembling,the longer it will last and the more power it will make. To me,blue printing is essential,most people just want it ti run.
You need to hand fit the pistons so maybe your block is still ok? Or maybe the bore is too big already?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM

the rotating assy is the 383 stroker kit from skip white performance. it comes with probe forged pistons which recommend a wall clearance anywhere from .002 to .005. so, If i am on the lower side of the recommended specs, I should be okay with just a re-hone?

how much material does honing typically remove?

heres what im having a hard time wrapping my mind around...
when you plate hone, the cylinders are actually out of round. they come back to round when a head is torqued down. wouldn't a lot of material need to be removed to get the cylinders where they need to be?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM

2-5 is not acceptable to me.I would want all 8 pistons to have the same clearance,no variation. You have to measure all the pistons because they might vary and match them to a bore that makes all of them have the same piston to wall clearance
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM

vinnie, Im with you.. thats not how i meant it. I meant anything up to .005 and more than .002 is acceptable as far as not having to worry about piston slap or any of the other problems associated with too tight or loose a clearance. I will make sure all of the cylinders are equal
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Yes, the cylinders distort. But they tend to distort to the center of the bore and a re-hone just hits the smaller ID of the bore. Leaving the finished OD very close to the original size.

I use a CV 616 or Ck 10 power hone. Using light stone pressure at the top of the bore and finish up with medium pressure on the full length of cylinder. Usually no more than .0005-.001" extra material removal and no taper.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
the rotating assy is the 383 stroker kit from skip white performance. it comes with probe forged pistons which recommend a wall clearance anywhere from .002 to .005. so, If i am on the lower side of the recommended specs, I should be okay with just a re-hone?

how much material does honing typically remove?

when you plate hone, the cylinders are actually out of round. they come back to round when a head is torqued down. wouldn't a lot of material need to be removed to get the cylinders where they need to be?
Do you have the tools to tell if the bore is correct dail bore guage. Then install and tq the heads and measure from the bottom. If its not out of round its fine. If its messed up bad then you will need psiton large enough to fit the holes after they are rebored and honed to the next larger size. Suck but its the only way to fix if the hole is to big. Now if it just measures small and not large then maybe but only if it will cut without going out of spec. Which is of course not the nature of the term cut. And any honing is a cut. No matter what.

my guess is the bores will be fine and you will not have any issues. Now if you had alum block or thin block it will be pretty dam close to none tq blocked. Sleeved blocks may result in different results but straight iron block is still iron its not made out of cheese its only going to move a little no matter how tight the dam bolts are. Like vin said a little matters at higher rpm and hp levels. But very little with regular street engine
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
You`re talking thousanths of an inch.
It's part of the "blueprint" process. I always had my engines final-honed with a torque plate.
Some blocks distort more than others.

If you want to gaurantee perfect bores.... gotsta do it.
Any good machine shop worth their weight in salt will do the torque plates.

It's kinda like having your lower-end custom balanced. It's not an option.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

and a really really good shop heats the engine also .. but thats overkill for most..

Tags
383, bore, deck, hone, torque

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.