Torque Tube Axle switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Torque Tube Axle switch

Currently needing to change 4:11 rear in a GM 50' 3100, to 3:55. I have paid deposit on a PG diff, to install in PU. Can I just pull the horsehoe clips, and swap the 6 lug axles to the 5 lug, from the PG, after I get it installed, so I can keep the 6 hole 16" wheels and tires.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I think we need a more detailed explanation of what you're trying to do. What is a PG differential for one thing. I've never heard of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I believe a PG differential is one from a PowerGlide equipped vehicle..... But I also believe he is trying to put a car rear center section under a truck.... and I do not believe it will work......but I could be wrong......

Like Centerline says.........more information is needed...

Old 03-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The 2 rear ends are 2 diffrent widths to my knowladge, custom axles would be needed. Yes I also belive the PG refers to the powerglide equiped cars, as they have 3.55 gear rear ends in them.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

If he is referring to a Powerglide rear then it's really no different than any open rear. If he's keeping the original 6 then he'll need to change the trans and driveshaft to an open unit that will be compatible with the rear he's using. You can't just throw in an open rear on those old trucks without changing the driveline to match.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 PM

you can do this swap

For the best advice go to www.stovebolt.com and look either under tech tips or FAQ--I can't remember where the details of this swap are. I do know you have to disassemble the carrier and swap side carrier gears because the truck and car axle shafts are different. I think you also have to swap torque tubes as well but again my memory fails me.

I have a 51 Chevy half ton I have been SLOWLY working on for the last few years and I have picked up a LOT of good info from the Stovebolt page--tell'em Racecarl sent you!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 PM

PG rearend,

Hey, thanks guys for all the response, the PG rearend is an enclosed drive line, from a powerglide car, prior to 55, chevrolet, which has 3:55 gears. What I want to do, to keep the 6 lug axles is just slide out the 5 lug on the PG rearend, and install my 6 lug axles. I had a 52 Belair that had been so changed, and it ran 65-70 effortlessley, not wound up tight as with the 4:11. at 50 mph. I am keeping it origional, with the 216 engine, and standard 3 spd. just trying to improve roadability. It should work unless the splines on the Pu axle are different.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delazy
Hey, thanks guys for all the response, the PG rearend is an enclosed drive line, from a powerglide car, prior to 55, chevrolet, which has 3:55 gears. What I want to do, to keep the 6 lug axles is just slide out the 5 lug on the PG rearend, and install my 6 lug axles. I had a 52 Belair that had been so changed, and it ran 65-70 effortlessley, not wound up tight as with the 4:11. at 50 mph. I am keeping it origional, with the 216 engine, and standard 3 spd. just trying to improve roadability. It should work unless the splines on the Pu axle are different.
That may not be quite as involved as I mentioned earlier. Wasn't aware of the enclosed PG rear ends. Hay, I'm a Mopar guy....
Old 03-28-2006, 03:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
That may not be quite as involved as I mentioned earlier. Wasn't aware of the enclosed PG rear ends. Hay, I'm a Mopar guy....
I think '53 up Powerglide cars are open drive. my '51 Chevy w/ powerglide has a torque tube

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.