torqueflite 727 starts in 2nd - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

torqueflite 727 starts in 2nd

Helping a friend get his 1967 GTX to shift correctly. It has a 500CID Hemi and a TCI streetfighter 727 trans. Edelbrock dual quads.

The trans wants to start out in 2nd gear from a stop. If we shift it to 1st then back to drive, takes off in 1st and shifts twice. We have adjusted the TV cable several times and can't seem to change much.

2-3 shift is very hard, taking off normally.

What are we missing? Could the governor be stuck?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

How is reverse gear acting? Is it slipping at all? If it is, it could be 1st -reverse band adjustment. It's pretty easy as the adjustment is external and easy to check. Did the tranny just start to mess up? or are you just putting everything together? I'm not familiar with TCI tranny's but I am familiar with the 727.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Man, just checked out TCI's webstite and they have a menu with great tech. info. Go check it out! You should get all your answers. What ever you find out give us an update OK?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Will do. Reverse works fine. It has been running ok and sat in the shop for about a month and now is doing as I described above.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys, checked out TCIs site and left a message, Russ answered within hours. Suggested I do a line pressure check, did it today and here are the results;

P=0
R=0
N=0
D=87
2=87
1=87

All these are @2000RPM against the brakes.

What's up with Reverse?? It engages and feels as strong as ever. How can there be no line pressure in reverse?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

First and reverse are the same band. Get your result's back to "Russ" and see what he has to say.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the low - reverse band does not apply when the shifter is in "D" and the vehicle is stopped.The roller clutch in the back of the case holds the drum to create first gear with out the band applied

if this trans starts off in 2nd gear... the governor or the vavle body is sticking in the upshifted position for 2nd gear.

you did not see line pressure in some gears since the torque flight does not put all main line pressure to one port. you must hook into all three ports to get more readings.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys. I only have on gauge and hose so one port at a time. Since Reverse feels normal can I assume it's not a pressure problem?

The trans has to come out so I'll take a look at the valves and governor. Is the governor driven off the output shaft? Not sure what it even looks like in a 727.

Could a high idle 1200RPM and/or a misadjusted throttle cable cause it to start in second?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'll put it this way, the governor is the first thing I would replace if it was a TH350-TH400. I had a problem with mine when 3rd gear would just disappear while cruising at 50 MPH or more. I took the gov. out and you could see the wear on the shaft. A new one fixed it. Since yours is internal it might be a little more work. It's funny though that it will work when you go to first gear and then to drive, I would take a long look at the shift linkage adjustment. Again!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

OK, here is some more information to this thread that might be helpful to others.

With the trans out of the car, I checked the governor, OK. I then pulled the valve body and completely took it apart and cleaned everything. Used crocus cloth on all valves untill everything was sliding freely. There was some stickyness to a couple of the valves.

Reinstalled the trans and adjusted all settings as per spec.

Now in "D" the trans starts out in first and shifts to 2nd at about 5 MPH and into 3rd by 15 MPH. The shifts are very suttle and smooth but seems a bit to soon maybe. It does downshift to 1St at a stop now.

Also, there is no "kickdown" to second when flooring the accelerator pedal at say 40MPH.

At WOT the cable is pulled to full extension.

It has a 3000RPM converter and a 3.73 rear gear.

Comments please??
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Stronger spring on the TV needed, check the throw on the lever and TV valve where the lever strikes it.

Also , the TV on the trans has a 2 stage ( sorta) ... you can push the TV lever back and it seems to stop. Push it harder and the lever travels more
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Double checked the TV adjustment, ok. The pull on the cable seems to have the same tension on it for the entire pull. Trans is still shifting very soon after taking off normally and shifts are very soft. Double checked the governor, it's ok.

So, we take the valve body down again. Take it apart and clean it up again. The only sticky valve I found was the little valve in the 3-2 downshift limit assembly. I freed it up and noticed while we had that off there is a 3/8 steel ball between the 1-2 shift control valve and the 3-2 downshift limit assembly (it's what holds that valve in). The ball fits inside the spring so it must be there to limit the travel of the 1-2 shift control valve????

But, I can't find that ball in any drawings of the valve body in the factory manual I have or in TCIs instructions for their Trans-Scat Kit, which I assume is what it has as it's a TCI Super Street Fighter.

I guess my question is could a sticky 3-2 downshift valve assembly cause these problems? Does this ball make sense to anyone?

This trans did work OK when first installed. It was removed when the engine was out and sat around in a climate controlled shop for a couple months.

And after reinstalling, it has the problems described.

It has always had TCI synthetic fluid in it. Seems to have more viscosity than regular trans fluid????

Last edited by Overdriv; 05-15-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

I guess I've thoroughly confused everyone. I think there is something going on with the pressures. If it doesn't work this time, it's coming out and I'm going to look at the pump. There just isn't anything else to look at.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Double checked the TV adjustment, ok. The pull on the cable seems to have the same tension on it for the entire pull. Trans is still shifting very soon after taking off normally and shifts are very soft. Double checked the governor, it's ok.

So, we take the valve body down again. Take it apart and clean it up again. The only sticky valve I found was the little valve in the 3-2 downshift limit assembly. I freed it up and noticed while we had that off there is a 3/8 steel ball between the 1-2 shift control valve and the 3-2 downshift limit assembly (it's what holds that valve in). The ball fits inside the spring so it must be there to limit the travel of the 1-2 shift control valve????

But, I can't find that ball in any drawings of the valve body in the factory manual I have or in TCIs instructions for their Trans-Scat Kit, which I assume is what it has as it's a TCI Super Street Fighter.

I guess my question is could a sticky 3-2 downshift valve assembly cause these problems? Does this ball make sense to anyone?

This trans did work OK when first installed. It was removed when the engine was out and sat around in a climate controlled shop for a couple months.

And after reinstalling, it has the problems described.

It has always had TCI synthetic fluid in it. Seems to have more viscosity than regular trans fluid????
if the shifts are soft and early, id put some more tv into it and see if you can get the shifts to firm up and get them in a bit later.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If a tranny shifts at say, 1st to 2nd at 2500 rpm with 2:73 rear gears and you switch to 4:10's your not going to shift at 35 mph any more. 2500 rpm with 4:10's is closer to 25 mph and even lower speed with 4:56's.
to shift at the same speed (35 mph) with 4:10's modification of the shift gov.
and or adj. modulator will have to be used and tweeked to fine tune shift points.
I used to have a 69 dart w/440, 2600 high stall hemi converter and a sox and martin manual shift reverse pattern and when I took off in drive, it would go 1-2-3 in about 30 mph and would not down shift at any speed unless I pulled the shifter back. If I held it in 1st till about 3000 rpm it would snap your neck and bark the tires!

What rear gears does he have? How does it shift when shifted manually?
Perhaps a modified or high performance Governor might help.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.