Total vs Spirit vs Zipper - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Total vs Sprint Vs Zipper

After reading your last post, I would suggest you talk to the members of your club about finding a local chassis builder to work with. You have a lot of variables to face. Working with an experienced builder will help you thru most of these decisions.

As for a Speedway chassis, I use their parts all the time, but their T bucket chassis is a little dated. It sits high for one thing and buy the time you modify it for your use, you might as well have one built to your specs.

I've heard some real good things about Spirit. You might want to check them out further.

Total's been around for a long time. They know their stuff and the customer support is next to none.

I wouldn't advise CCR. If you can get a hold of them, it's hard to get an answer to your questions. Their chassis was designed at a time when cartoon cars were the rage at car shows. In my opinion, they are out dated and of a poor design for todays use.

These are my opinions and mine alone. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes. As a first time builder, I would want this experience to be a rewarding one for you, hence the gut level response.

Good luck with what ever you decide, Youngster.

www.tbucketeers.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Dilbert,

Are you looking to build a car or drive it? How long do you plan on this taking? 1 yr? 2? 5 yrs?

If I was you, with the limited fabrication experience, I would wait till I could get a stage III kit from one of the manufacturers. Even Total has a layway plan (not sure if thats a good financial idea though) There should be no welding required and everything should bolt on with minimal holes to drill. Don't worry though, even with a complete "kit" there are still lots of things to customize and make your own.

If you get a kit and a good running donor car, you can harvest the engine, transmission, driveshaft, rearend, wiring (maybe), seat parts (foam/belts) and other misc parts. That way, you can clean up, paint and install the motor, trans and rear end and have a roller for not a whole lot of money. Sprit has a pretty complete kit w/ front and rear suspension and body for $3,880. Thats a pretty good deal.
I would love to have a completed car..like, now! But I don't have the funding, so I'll probably take a few years and build one..so 2 to 3 years would be a realistic goal as far as timing goes...

I already have a pretty nice motor, so you can knock that off the list... I just emailed Spirit and asked if they could make a shorter chassis for their 27.. I like a lot of aspects of that package, but it just looks really long to me... I noticed that other 27 chassis measure 5 inches shorter..doesn't seem like much, but for some reason I notice it

If that doesn't work out, I'll probably be looking at a 23T...probably then between Spirit and Total... I still have some time to think about it though before I purchase anything.....

BTW, what do you think about the various rear end assemblies offered? A lot of the aftermarket parts I see at Summit and the like are for the 9 inch Ford... Are there good aftermarket parts and assemblies for the 8 inch Ford or the Chevy rear that Spirit uses???

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The 8" doesn't have a large a following as the 9", so swap meet parts are fewer. Gear selection is more limited too. If you go Total, you will be buying all the components to the 8" so that can get pricey if you go new. Complete 8" rears can be had pretty cheap and you harvest the parts you need like pumpkin, backing plates, brake hardware, etc. The axle shafts for the Total housing are the narrowest Ford made, so don't believe thier nonsense about using "the axles from any 60's 8" rear". There are about a dozen different 8" housing widths used back then. I found the only ones that would work are from a V-8 powered Mavericks or Comets. Not sure how the Chevy from Spirit is outfitted.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you know the hub to hub width of the axle that you need then it may be possible to find one that is close enough to be usable..Maybe from an S-10 4x4 or an 8.8 from an explorer as those are fairly narrow..If you are using a manual trans then look for an axle from a manual trans car..

When the budget is tight then we need to get a bit creative in our choices..

Sam
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

pound for dollar

Pound for dollar, you can't have more fun than a "T". If it's about the experience, it don't get no better.

Build it or buy it, theres' no better value when it comes to "fun-for-the-buck".

__________________________________________________ ______

SORRY ... no links to a business you own, work for or affiliated with ... allowed

I understand this was only your third post ( at the time ) and you may not know the rules and guidelines. You and your knowledge are WELCOME here just please refrain from posting advertising for the business of Sprint T-Buckets ...

Deuce ... a Moderator here

Last edited by Deuce; 02-07-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.