Tough Choice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2003, 09:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Tough Choice.

Back in about '95, I was fortunate enough to have inherited a '69 Charger from my mom, who also happened to be the original owner. Some of my earliest childhood memories were of that car, it's like a sibling of mine.

Well, about a year ago I adopted a '69 El Camino. She wasn't the prettiest thing I'd seen, but driving was a completely different story. Power steering, front disc brakes, and some decent suspension, the damn thing handled better than most cars I'd driven that weren't even 1/3 of her age.

I had originally planned on driving the Camino everyday, and slowly restoring the Charger, but the more I drove the Camino, the more I liked it, and I was beginning to question whether or not I wanted to take on the task of a major restoration.

Well, yesterday finally forced me to make the decision I had been dreading all along. I was getting tired of my $300/month gas bill so I decided to get a little 4 banger truck I can beat to death without it complaining too much, but that means on of my favorite children has to go.

I know a Mopar nut that will give her a good home, give her the attention and respect she deserves. Now the tough part for me is coming up with an asking price. I really have no clue what she's worth. The car is very original and fairly complete, matching numbers on the motor and tranny, but she's only a 318, with drum brakes at all four corners. The body is straight, but the right and left rear quarter panels are rusting through. The car has almost 300k on it, but the motor was rebuilt about 70k ago, and the tranny about 100k. The motor still has good compression but bleeds a bit of oil around the main seal. Interior is complete, worn but not trashed, and a lot of the wiring under the dash will need to be redone.

I know the guy that wants it isn't made of money, but knowing it will go to a good home is a big plus for me. It doesn't matter whether you're a blue oval nut, a bowtie guy, or a pentastar kind of person, the one thing I know everybody here has in common is the love we have for the cars we put our blood, sweat and tears into.

So anyone have an idea (ballpark from my very brief description), what I might ask, what I might expect to get out of it?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Hello.
I had a friend with a Charger in need of work with a 383 in it. It went for 1800, but that was a quick sell and in Ohio, where cars seem a little cheaper to me.
Id say anywere from 2-3 Grand. But Ask yourself about 100 times if this is really what you want to do. A one owner car that was Your Moms with a ton of memories may never be able to be replaced once its down the road. Caminos are nice, but a lot easier to find than Chargers also. Good luck with whatever you do. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 01-06-2003, 03:54 PM

Wink

God, don't get rid of the Charger!! But, if you really decide it must go, then I'll come pick it up from LA. Oh wait that's right, you want money for it. Darn, I always forget about that one. I'm a bowtie girl, but man, Chargers are hot!
If you're serious about selling it, email me with all the info - medvin@aol.com - and we'll talk turkey!

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: ChevyLuv ]</p>
Old 01-07-2003, 05:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would keep the General Lee and ditch the Camino but to each his own. The Camino's are getting rare too.

I understand your plight though, the Charger is just not equipped with the rare options to make it worth top dollar and it needs everything to make it good as a daily driver or even rod.

If I were you I would check E-bay listings for a price, this is really what a car would be worth so don't be afraid to auction it off to the highest bidder. I'm sure there is a 69 Chrger owner out there willing to give you top dollar for just the chrome!

Friends are friends but a car like that is an investment no matter how little it is worth in dollars.

I would auction it. Your buddy can bid like everyone else if he is really interested.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

I checked with my uncle about his charger and he said he gave 3500.00 for a rolling body with cancer.gave another 600.00 for the drive train.
his is a 69 he now has it all finished but he said he has about 7 grand in it now.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: meanmachine666 ]</p>
Old 01-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Missing You

Last photo:

Selling your mom's one owner Charger for a CAMINO! Its a sad sad day.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

guys lay off the caminos
Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 AM

Cool

Thanks for all the replies.

I generally have people saying one of two things to me about the Charger, it's either "Don't EVER sell that car!" or "Do you want to sell that car?" That's why I gave this post the title I did.

I think I'd rather remove a fingernail with a pair of pliers than get rid of either car. All of my friends, my girlfriend, the voice of my childhood are all telling me to hang onto that Charger since I know no one could ever pay me enough for all the sentimental value the car holds. Once it's gone chances are it will be gone forever...but I've grown to love the Camino too and every time I think I've made up my mind, I change it again.

I know Chargers are a helluva lot harder to come by than El Caminos, but ironically that was part of the "logic" in my thinking. I wouldn't say I'm mechanically retarded, but I'm no whiz when it comes to tearing cars apart and putting them back together either. I enjoy working on cars, but I like driving them better. My hopes are to build a budget street rod (oxymoron?) and from what I've noticed it's much easier to find Chevy 350 hop up parts, and Chevelle/Malibu/Camino parts than it is to find parts for the Charger. Plus most of the stuff I want to do to the Camino (4bbl, intake, headers, dual exhaust, mild cam) is all stuff I should be able to do myself. I could be looking in all the wrong places, but I don't want to spend all of my weekends scouring junk yards and parts traders.

Maybe liking a more common street rod will be a good thing for my pocket book. My girlfriend really wants a '66 or '67 GTO (who doesn't), I just laughed and said "you should have fallen in love with a cheaper car!"

I don't know, I still haven't made the big decision yet, if I do I think ebay will be a good option and maybe I'll find someone who is willing to pay just about anything for an old Charger...and maybe that will be me in another 10 years.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:53 PM

YOU CANT SELL THE CAMINO WHAT KINDA CRAZY TALK IS THAT...I THINK I GUNNA FAINT......

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.