Tough task, asking for help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tough task, asking for help

The JOY of repainting a car for the 2nd time cause u had no idea what u were doing before... its just ... so great...

Anyways, i have painted this thing already and completely messed it up, and now i plan to do it the way im supposed to, but... i need some help.

I had to take off the tint due to louisiana law and it left some mad glue on it (thinking this tint was put on 30 years ago heh), i cant get it off with a razor, gasoline, or paint thinner, i have a picture of it in my gallery, its not so good quality but gives an idea i would think.

Second is the problem on the passenger side on the runner, the metal door plate or whatever, im having some type of bubbling i cant stop, i can sand it down to nothing, repaint it and the same thing happens.

Eventually i really want to start painting, or sanding i should say, but the scheme i want is probrably near impossible as an amatuer, i want to do it anyway as long as i can get tips while im doing it. I realize there are a lot of things i need to know about paint and its really mind boggling to me at this point. Some of my car is steel, some is fiberglass and some is plastic, i have no idea how im going to figure out what i need for each of the components much less afford it.

Im not worried about the paint right now, i need to prep it and sand it down again first and hopefully get that glue off. In the end i want a metallic blue probrably midnight blue color, with the same color mixed somehow with a black to create a stripe down the middle of the car in line with the cowl creating a stripe that looks like a film (almost like the same blue with window tint running the stripe effect) and 2 white pin stripes, one on each side of the stripe, and about 6-8 clear coats. To do this i have no idea if i need to paint it all together or do the blue then stripe and pins, i dont know the best way to do it as of yet.

Critisizm on this job is expected, right now i would like to know what is causing my paint to do the bubble effect and how i might can go about getting the glue off my windows.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 08:16 AM
jackleg

Shade,
The last time i done this my tint had been on for ten years. i used a spray bottle with amonia and water in it. Make sure its the sudsy type. I still had to use a blade to scrape the window but it made life alot easier.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, that is working really well.

Not really sure if i should go about finishing up what ive done and just sand it and clear coat it or go ahead and start striping it down and prepping it to paint, if i strip it all i will have time to do is prime it within the next month, or just clear coat it as is and drive it until i can get all the resources i need and do the whole paint job all together when im off a few days. What i have so far, i think looks descent other than the bumper cause it peels horribly, paint just didnt stick. This is the first time i ever painted anything and i didnt know anything about chemical matching. I have a picture of how it looks right now in my photo albumn (that picture was after about 2 coats, i now have about 6 on it and wanting to put another one or 2 before i would even clear coat it), with clear coats i wonder how it would differ. I really like the satin black covered with clear coat for all the chrome i used to have, but the blue, it just looks horribly imho, its metallic blue and looks like a flat or matte blue.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

What kind of paint are you using is the BIG question.

Since you have not clear coated I'm assuming it's a single stage or you didn't realize that you HAVE to clear regular base paint,usually within 24 hrs.

Bubbling paint is usually a sign of rust under the panel you have not removed or seen in the rocker.

6 coats huh? Flat or matte finish, Sounds like you just sprayed base coat.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

wow thisll have a huge laugh, ok... I was using a Marine Primer 3487 White(Valspar) and Marine Solvent 3082 Marine Thinner, codes do not match, but its what the guy at ACE said would work... well it didnt i had to mix all-purpose Lacquor thinner with the primer just so it would shoot through my gun and stick, the thinner he said would work wouldnt even mix with the paint. Understand i had no idea that it would make a difference way back then. So i sanded it down to bare metal except for the plastic and fiberglass components since the paint wouldnt come off and i didnt want to ruin the bumper and fender, which i scratched up really good hoping it would stick (i did the same for all the chrome pieces which are now all satin black, clear coated).

Paint - Colorplace Rust Control Spray Enamel Satin Black (Wal-Mart, chrome is all satin black), Dupli-color Truck Van and SUV, Spray Paint Dark Metallic Blue (Wal-mart, i dont have a can with me but its was call: 164, body is this color) and Dupli-color Truck Van and SUV Clear Top Coat Spray paint (also Wal-Mart). I have only painted and clearcoated the trim, which i really like, it came out good, it has also held for 4 months so far, but im going to repaint it the way it is supposed to have been done.

Now, as STUPID as all that was to do, i had never painted anything before and never knew about all the chemicals and other useful or mandatory rather things to know (im an electrician).

Now that ive seen this site i know im going to have to strip it down and repaint it, here is the problem, i work a lot, i wont have time to do everything i need to do for a few weeks, at the most, i could sand it down again, prime it piece by piece and hope that holds out until i get all the pieces primed then paint it piece by piece but i highly doubt that would work, OR i can clear coat this just for the hell of it since i already bought everything and get the NEW CORRECT resources i would need and wait until i have a week or so off and paint it the way i should have in the first place.

I am concerned about the primers and paints i will have to get because my car is not all steel or all fiberglass, i have steel, fiberglass and plastic components on my car and im betting ull say i need a different type for each.

Right now i really need someone to suggest what course of action to take and really what i need to know, i read the page with all the types of paint ect but i still have no idea what each is for or what i would need for my project.

When it comes to my car, im a do-it-myself type of person, i like to learn how to do new things and even though i did my first paint job completely wrong, i still did learn a lot. It is like a hobby to me, i dont have a lot of free time but i do enjoy painting and bondoing, which is the only thing ive found im good at, i sit at my rear quarter panel for about 2 days straight GRIND, grind, grind, sand, grind, sand, grind, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand sand sand sand sand, bondo, sand....

Last edited by Shade2904; 09-08-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: reason i dont get someone else to do it
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Shade, 3M adhesive remover, available at most any paint supply or even Wal-Mart, will make short work of that glue problem at least it did for me.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

The amonia worked pretty good, it was messy but it did get it where the razor could get it off easier.

If i still had it on there is would definately try ur suggestion though

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.