Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - toughest paint
Thread: toughest paint
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
I have a Model A tudor body that was blasted and primed with epoxy primer in 1990. The body sat outside in the weather for several years. It now has rust stains coming from between the panels, where they bolt together. I really doubt that the etch primer would have held up that good. I have used the etch primer that Nason has. The stuff that I used was not as protective from the moisture, and I have actually had to completely sand to the bare metal to remove hand prints from it. That is enough to convince me. I have also used Nason BC/CC and gotten good results from that. I would however make sure that the proper prepwork is done, including using a quality epoxy primer.
Aaron
Interesting for how that works with the forming of an opinion that is just WRONG. Etch Primer is not meant to be a stand alone primer and that is obvious in the TECH SHEETS.

I think you should try reading the Product Tech Sheets for the NASON ETCH PRIMER and FOLLOW THEM. Or better yet just read this quote and yes the link is included so you can go looky for yourself. Sorry but your friends should tell you instead of a stranger. I intend to visit a friend down SOUTH on say MONDAY.....
Quote:
DRYING TIME:
Allow Primer to tack (15 to 30 minutes)
before applying Primer-Surfacer or topcoat.
http://www.performancecoatings.dupon...son/491-17.pdf
No doubt about it the EPOXY is the better primer if you are just going to add one primer and let it sit. You know not follow the product sheets. Then again most EPOXY Primers don't hold up real well to UV and that includes the EDP.

Besides maybe the newest offering for EDP from PPG which resist UV.
Quote:

A solar-durable, lead-free technology that provides protection against UV degradation while reducing overall system costs.
The innovative electrocoat combines the characteristics of commercial lead-free electrocoats with the UV durability feature of conventional primer surfacers -- enabling automakers to eliminate the primer surfacer layer from their coatings process.

Dura-Prime features:

Lower Overall Cost
Less Capital Investment
Equal or Better Performance
Reduced Cycle Time and Higher Quality
Environmentally Friendly
Increased Simplicity and Flexibility

This technology can be easily incorporated into an existing facility with slight equipment modifications and can be used in conjunction with commercial topcoat technologies. Dura-Prime electrocoat is the next logical step in the evolution of PPG's electrocoat technologies to meet automakers' needs.
http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/ppge.../duraprime.htm
After all STEVE does want the BEST and if'n everyone is doing the monkey chest pounding then let's tell him to buy a new car with PPG on it.

Hey Steve have you been posting at the ASET web board too?