Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - toughest paint
Thread: toughest paint
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 09:57 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"I wondering if etch primer has gotten a bad rap because attempts have been made to use it as a stand-alone product. It is not! "

My statement was about the apparent durability, and not to indicate that any primer should be used as a stand-alone product. Since it was my first use of a BC/CC system, I followed the recommendations of the Dupont Rep that I talked to. I had even talked to him about using an epoxy instead, and was told that they recommend the "etch primer" instead of epoxy. He told me that it was "more durable", and was "better than epoxy". The reason that came up, was because I was painting a vehicle for my son, and was concerned about it getting damaged, as most do in school parking lots, and rusting where the paint chipped or is scratched. If it is scratched to bare metal, it will rust, no doubt. If it isn't thru the paint, I want the metal to have as much protection as possible. I feel that each layer of paint should provide some sort of protection for the metal, so I want the most that I can get.

I did use the Nason 491-17 Etch Primer, and 441-43 activator, as they recommended on that project. Fortunately, the only damage that vehicle sustained was in the area that I hadn't painted.

Evidently we now have one of those people here that believe that PPG is the only paint worthy of using on an automobile!

Aaron