Tourqe box's on 1968 mustang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 10:52 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tourqe box's on 1968 mustang

Hello i just baught a mustang that needs some help in the tourqe box area. It has a 6 cylinder so it not gonna need alot as far as twist strenth is concerned. On the drivers side, it is pretty rotted. On the passengers side i hope to get away with just patching it. Now nessasary are they for strenth. I dont have a mig welder yet, but i hope to get one soon and hopefully weld some medal where the tourqe box is and make it strong. Any input on whether the tourqe box is a nesacary thing. Or a nice to have type of deal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

Necessary, yep

At least one is. The one on the drivers side has to be there. As for the one on the passenger side, they didn't start putting those on the six's until 68. Prior to that, they just put the one on the drivers side. They did have both on the convertibles. I'm not sure if they had them on the 8's prior to 68. If I were you, I'd put them both on. It wouldn't hurt to have a little more rigidity in your car. It can only improve the handling. I would go even further in saying add sub-frame connectors too. They don't have to be the expensive ones, just some square tubing welded up to the existing frames, is all you need. It's not so much the engine torque as much as daily driving that causes the flexing in the body and frame. Trust me, if you add the torque boxes and the sub-frame connectors, you'll definitely be happier with the ride and handling performance of your car.

Pencilneck
Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

Put back they way they should be!

Otherwise
What he said!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

To Stereodude

65-66 Mustangs coupes and fastbacks had no torque boxes, even the 271hp hipo, only the convertibles got torque boxes.

67' the started putting in stronger motors (390/335hp), got to have a torque box

Your (?) 200hp six cylinder, how good are the floors and toe boards? That contributes alot more to the car ride and strength.

Then it becomes a "catch 22", if you hack out the toe boards, might as well replace the torque boxes with the "one size fits all cut to fit" aftermarket torque boxes.

Temporary fix: a chain from the motor to the frame that limits how far the engine can "torque" "twist" the body for "launching" your 6 cylinder

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.