Hot Rod Forum banner

Tourqe box's on 1968 mustang

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  red65mustang 
#1 ·
Hello i just baught a mustang that needs some help in the tourqe box area. It has a 6 cylinder so it not gonna need alot as far as twist strenth is concerned. On the drivers side, it is pretty rotted. On the passengers side i hope to get away with just patching it. Now nessasary are they for strenth. I dont have a mig welder yet, but i hope to get one soon and hopefully weld some medal where the tourqe box is and make it strong. Any input on whether the tourqe box is a nesacary thing. Or a nice to have type of deal

#2 ·
Necessary, yep

At least one is. The one on the drivers side has to be there. As for the one on the passenger side, they didn't start putting those on the six's until 68. Prior to that, they just put the one on the drivers side. They did have both on the convertibles. I'm not sure if they had them on the 8's prior to 68. If I were you, I'd put them both on. It wouldn't hurt to have a little more rigidity in your car. It can only improve the handling. I would go even further in saying add sub-frame connectors too. They don't have to be the expensive ones, just some square tubing welded up to the existing frames, is all you need. It's not so much the engine torque as much as daily driving that causes the flexing in the body and frame. Trust me, if you add the torque boxes and the sub-frame connectors, you'll definitely be happier with the ride and handling performance of your car.

Pencilneck

#4 ·
To Stereodude

65-66 Mustangs coupes and fastbacks had no torque boxes, even the 271hp hipo, only the convertibles got torque boxes.

67' the started putting in stronger motors (390/335hp), got to have a torque box

Your (?) 200hp six cylinder, how good are the floors and toe boards? That contributes alot more to the car ride and strength.

Then it becomes a "catch 22", if you hack out the toe boards, might as well replace the torque boxes with the "one size fits all cut to fit" aftermarket torque boxes.

Temporary fix: a chain from the motor to the frame that limits how far the engine can "torque" "twist" the body for "launching" your 6 cylinder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.