Hot Rod Forum banner

Towing in 3rd with a 4th gear lock up kit in 700r4

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have installed a 4th gear lock up kit in a 700r4, will it be ok to still tow in 3rd?

Bill

#3 ·
As I stated in the PM's we exchanged , I have seen the 700 tranny heat up and NOT heat up when in third gear and NOT locked up.

Early 700's will get hot enough out of lock up to allow the pump bushing move forward into the back side of the seal... when this happens the seal "does not seal" . The tranny then dumps fluid out on the ground at a high rate.

I suggest you lock the converter clutch in 3rd up since the 700 converter does not flow a high volume of fluid as the non lock up trannys do....... IE: t-350 or t-400.

I mentioned most of this in the PM's , perhaps the PM system is not functioning?

Tony

wed68 said:
I have installed a 4th gear lock up kit in a 700r4, will it be ok to still tow in 3rd?

Bill

#4 ·
Sorry Crosley!

No the PM system is working fine, I am just trying to research all I can bout this transmission. I am trying to find out what will fit me best for my application, sorry if I offended you!

Now to another question. I am going into the tranny tonight to put in a N.O. (silver) switch in the 4th gear hole and wire it to the solenoid and a ignition hot. I agree that I would like it to lock up in 3rd as well! I was thinking about while I was in there tying a wire to the solenoid ground and bringing it up to a switch on the dash to complete the circuit when the switch is applied and lock the convertor, will this work and what will happen in first gear?

Again I am sorry if I offended anyone!

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.