Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - toyota truck rear axle
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

toyota truck rear axle

I have smoked the 9in ford rear axle that i installed under my 55 willys.I dont have any spares.So i checked out a rear axle from a toyota truck..6 lugs..so i will finally have matching rims on the back.And it has disc brakes on it..on all 4 corners i will have disc brakes,And the rear axle appears to be as strong as the 9in im impressed! its strong enough for my purposes anyways..the only issue i have with it,Is the final drive ratio,Its got 3.45's hhmmm that seems a bit steep for a stock 302 ford with an FMX automatic.Its my daily driver/work truck.Im curious as to what my engine rpms will be at 60-70mph..i dont have money to buy another rear axle or buy aftermarket ring/pinion.But i can trade the toyota axle for another toyota rear axle but it has drum brakes..i really really want the rear discs.So before i lay down the money for new seals,bearings,calipers/rotors etc if the rpms were 'liveable' i would keep the disc brake rear axle.And then do what i can to reduce rpms further with different sized rims/tires..anyone? anyone?..yeah i suck at math