Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TPI 305 need rebuild.... time for 350?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have an 87 TA WS6 that the girlfriend putters around in; I figure I would replace the injectors, and rebuild the heads. If I was feeling enterprising, I'd get some 58cc aluminum heads from a vette, however the EGR setup is different on the Vette setup, so you may need the Vette intake with the heads
For a cam (I have the roller cam block) Id use a TPI 350 cam., perhaps a GM 'Hotcam' from the LT motors. If you use this cam, you have to adjust the height of he dowel pin at the front of the cam. I like the 'Pizza Box' Super Ram manifold because it has more midrange than the Short Ram and etc. The other option would be the FIRST TPI setup; which is better than the ported OEM upper with the oversized runners. It looks very similar to the factory induction (which I kind of like). You may be able to find used. This manifold is best on 350+cid though.

The TPI manifold was designed for the 305 to begin with and used on the 350 as well, it should flow enough for what hes doing.

Its fairly obvious but make sure if you decide to swap in a 350 you get everything you need for MAF or SD sensors, which ever way you decide to go.

I don't really see the carb thing as a plus if he only wants a driver out of it.
Theres some guys on the TGO boards pushing a lot of power through TPI's.

Another option if you're swapping motors would be an LT1; the swap is easier than an LS motor and they make plenty of power stock.