Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TPI 305 need rebuild.... time for 350?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Well digging this up because I have a couple questions on camshafts. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop yesterday to get larger valves installed.

I have been looking around at cams and stumbled across this one. He wants to go Hydraulic roller and after having good look with the Howards Cam I installed into my cutlass I would like to try another one of theirs. Here is the link Howards Cams Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 180235-14 - SummitRacing.com.
The next step up would be their 180245-14 but I think thats gonna be too big for what he will be using the car for and what the factory intake is capable of.

I wanted to keep the duration at .050" under/around 220* with the tpi intake and 114LSA was the largest they had to keep the ecu happy (I was told that EFI motors like a wide LSA to keep the MAP sensor more consistent since its measures fuel off of it, whereas tight LSA create pulses in the intake?) Correct me if im wrong. The valve lift is just under .500 which should be perfect with these heads after they get the new valves installed. What do you guys think? Once the heads are done they will be CC'd (Spell?) and then I can get replacement pistons for the 350 short block that is getting rebuilt. Gonna shoot for around 9.5:1.

Thanks for all the input so far!
,Shane