TPI 305 need rebuild.... time for 350? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have an 87 TA WS6 that the girlfriend putters around in; I figure I would replace the injectors, and rebuild the heads. If I was feeling enterprising, I'd get some 58cc aluminum heads from a vette, however the EGR setup is different on the Vette setup, so you may need the Vette intake with the heads
For a cam (I have the roller cam block) Id use a TPI 350 cam., perhaps a GM 'Hotcam' from the LT motors. If you use this cam, you have to adjust the height of he dowel pin at the front of the cam. I like the 'Pizza Box' Super Ram manifold because it has more midrange than the Short Ram and etc. The other option would be the FIRST TPI setup; which is better than the ported OEM upper with the oversized runners. It looks very similar to the factory induction (which I kind of like). You may be able to find used. This manifold is best on 350+cid though.

The TPI manifold was designed for the 305 to begin with and used on the 350 as well, it should flow enough for what hes doing.

Its fairly obvious but make sure if you decide to swap in a 350 you get everything you need for MAF or SD sensors, which ever way you decide to go.

I don't really see the carb thing as a plus if he only wants a driver out of it.
Theres some guys on the TGO boards pushing a lot of power through TPI's.

Another option if you're swapping motors would be an LT1; the swap is easier than an LS motor and they make plenty of power stock.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I am gonna be helping him pull the engine next weekend do I will have a better idea then.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

If you do get into this would you mind posting some pics of the engine wiring before it comes out? I hav e an 84 Z28 that I'm putting a TPI 350 in and I'm stuck on some of the connectors and can't seem to find anyone locally with a TPI F-body. Thanks in advance. You can probably find some cool stuff for the project at www.hawksthirdgenparts.com they have taken care of me for quite a few things.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular6d
If you do get into this would you mind posting some pics of the engine wiring before it comes out? I hav e an 84 Z28 that I'm putting a TPI 350 in and I'm stuck on some of the connectors and can't seem to find anyone locally with a TPI F-body. Thanks in advance. You can probably find some cool stuff for the project at www.hawksthirdgenparts.com they have taken care of me for quite a few things.
Yeah if I remember ill snag some pics. I found some wiring diagrams and wire layouts online somewhere. If I remember where ill also post those links.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Well lucky me I show up and he already did me the favor by pulling the top end of the motor apart.... ugh this is gonna be a night mare to put back together now. There is a coffee can of bolts instead of bagging everything individually. Good none of this AIR emissions crap is going back on but still... AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Any suggestions on what you guys would do heads and cam wise. The car did have the 416 heads with it so as long as they arent cracked I wouldn't mind playing around with getting some 1.94or 1.90 x 1.50 or 1.60 valves put into them and doing the accompanying port work to them.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

LT1 Hotcam maybe? You can usually score a take-out reasonably on one of the boards. Just remember theres a dowelpin on the front that you have to adjust the height of. I don't have the specs since Im at work.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Just a thought;

There is an LT1 on Ebay near Jamestown. Same guy has the harness and Kmember from a mid 90s F car listed. I bet if you're buddy showed up with a grand he could walk away with everything
Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
LT1 Hotcam maybe? You can usually score a take-out reasonably on one of the boards. Just remember theres a dowelpin on the front that you have to adjust the height of. I don't have the specs since Im at work.
Yeah I already found that out the heard way after putting an OE roller into my gen I block. I thought it cleared the timing cover but apparently not because it was making an aweful clicking noise. every time it came around and hit the bowtie logo lol. Live and learn i guess.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Just a thought;

There is an LT1 on Ebay near Jamestown. Same guy has the harness and Kmember from a mid 90s F car listed. I bet if you're buddy showed up with a grand he could walk away with everything
I will def run that by him. My parents live maybe an hour and a half from there so wouldn't be too bad of a drive.

Right now im trying to keep all options within reason open. Especially because every time I talk to him it seems like he wants to do more and more. Last week it was how much more would it cost for an aluminum headed 383 lol. Im almost thinking an oe roller setup from a vortec engine with an LT1 cam some vortec heads and Scoggin Dickey vortec tpi base . That should break that stock rearend in no time lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

according to TGO, the vortec base isn't a very good casting. It needs substantial clean up with a rotary tool. This isnt a bad thing necessarily, however buddies tend to drink lots of beer and watch you bust knuckles.

The TPI base flows plenty for a 305. What about a set of 58cc TFS heads and port match?

Your buddy needs to give you a price, a goal and '***** or get off the pot.'

I think the LT1 is an interesting proposition. I think the motor was 800, the harness and ecm was 2 or 300 and the crossmember was 300. Throw the hot-cam in there, a little prom flashing; notch the crossmember or use the LT1 Fbod one and the body harness should cover most of it. Redline is probably 6500, 350hp or more and latemodel dependability. I do not know if you'd have to modify the fuel system, but I do know the 4th gen and 3rd gen use a lot of the same 'tub' so most parts fit easily.
This is probably an easier swap than an LS however, there's more room to grow with an LS obviously.
Footnote; the LT heads were the basis for the vortecs.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
according to TGO, the vortec base isn't a very good casting. It needs substantial clean up with a rotary tool. This isnt a bad thing necessarily, however buddies tend to drink lots of beer and watch you bust knuckles.

The TPI base flows plenty for a 305. What about a set of 58cc TFS heads and port match?

Your buddy needs to give you a price, a goal and '***** or get off the pot.'

I think the LT1 is an interesting proposition. I think the motor was 800, the harness and ecm was 2 or 300 and the crossmember was 300. Throw the hot-cam in there, a little prom flashing; notch the crossmember or use the LT1 Fbod one and the body harness should cover most of it. Redline is probably 6500, 350hp or more and latemodel dependability. I do not know if you'd have to modify the fuel system, but I do know the 4th gen and 3rd gen use a lot of the same 'tub' so most parts fit easily.
This is probably an easier swap than an LS however, there's more room to grow with an LS obviously.
Footnote; the LT heads were the basis for the vortecs.
I don't mind doing some cleanup on the intake but you would think for $400 it would be a clean casting. I gotta sit down with him and get a solid goal so I can figure out if hes gonna need a higher stall converter and more gear in the rear. I would love to put an LS in it but its past his budget. He wants to put $1000 into the motor and no more cause he is doing exhaust upgrades and a bunch of other stuff. Im not worried about making money off this, hes a friend of mine but I don't wanna go broke either lol
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Last journal entry: Rolling in shop

Go with the 350 if you really want to but leave the TPI on it. Who cares if it doesn't make power after 4800 rpm what is the car used for? Do the job as best you can as quick as you can and get it back together. Then you can work on your own.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Well I got my magnaflux kit in the mail and checked the 416 heads and they appear to be crack free. I will be sourcing a used 350 engine maybe this weekend. Do tear down check the rotating assembly over and go from there. I haven't decided if I want to have larger valves installed or just port them. i don't know if with still having the factory TPI on there he will benefit from the larger valves. But then again I guess a 52mm throttle body would help the intake breath some more...

Does anyone know if you can cut the factory seats larger with just the sioux stone cutters? I have used these before for doing valve jobs but it doesn't seem like they would cut enough material to use to cut the seat larger. If not Ill just have my machinist do it and charge my buddy the extra cost to have 1.94"x1.60" valves installed.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Well digging this up because I have a couple questions on camshafts. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop yesterday to get larger valves installed.

I have been looking around at cams and stumbled across this one. He wants to go Hydraulic roller and after having good look with the Howards Cam I installed into my cutlass I would like to try another one of theirs. Here is the link Howards Cams Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 180235-14 - SummitRacing.com.
The next step up would be their 180245-14 but I think thats gonna be too big for what he will be using the car for and what the factory intake is capable of.

I wanted to keep the duration at .050" under/around 220* with the tpi intake and 114LSA was the largest they had to keep the ecu happy (I was told that EFI motors like a wide LSA to keep the MAP sensor more consistent since its measures fuel off of it, whereas tight LSA create pulses in the intake?) Correct me if im wrong. The valve lift is just under .500 which should be perfect with these heads after they get the new valves installed. What do you guys think? Once the heads are done they will be CC'd (Spell?) and then I can get replacement pistons for the 350 short block that is getting rebuilt. Gonna shoot for around 9.5:1.

Thanks for all the input so far!
,Shane
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Shane; how does this compare to the GM 'Hot Cam'? You can find them pretty cheap and its a proven street combo

Tags
305, 350, tpi

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.