TPI 350, in a 87' silverodo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TPI 350, in a 87' silverodo

my buddy was going to put a tbi 454 in place of his tbi 305,instead we found a 1990 sw6 trans am, id like to know more about the tpi motors, like the fac hp tq rateings, pros and cons its going in a 87' silverodo lowered 4"...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

the info i left out lol, he got a TPI 350 from a 90' sw6 transam today for $350, that comes with everything all puellys, even the belt is still on it, they said it had a rod knocking, so that ant to bad, we think it would make a nice swap over the wore out TBI305!! what do yal think???
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

I think you mentioned it was in an 87 chevy pickup. I probably wouldn't go through the trouble with the TPI. If you decide to then get a hold of these guys. http://www.howellefi.com/customer/gm-tpi-products/ . They are great to deal with and will set you up with everything you need.

On the other hand there are many ways to make great power out of the TBI. I've built and raced a few TBI Trucks. The last two were an 87 and an 89. Both were running in the mid 14's and were our daily drivers. The only drawback is the computer is limited to around 300 hp because it is limited on the mapping. Here is a link to some guys who have done great things with TBI's
http://www.turbocity.com/.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

i guess one reason is the TPI has all ben cool, like open the hood of the 87' silverodo and see TPI n sted of the tbi, and like painless wireing has the whole set up for a tpi in the 87' silerodo....
Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That will be a cool swap. I love the look of the tpi engines.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

i just seen the motor in person a hour or so ago, it appears to have every thing there, it has dust all over it, but its SHARP!!! ill put pix up in a few.....
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

the truck has been lowerd 4" wearing corvette rallys, with 275-60-15's on all four corners, I believe the motor is going to make a real nice home in there.... oh the smog pump stuff can be blocked off if im correct, is there anything cheap that can be added for HP and TQ, the truck is mainly used for pulling cars a 16' car trailer, it has a 700r4 that could use a good building....... any ideas???? thanx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	51873   Click image for larger version

Name:	scotts truck.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	51874  

Last edited by gofastz; 01-23-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastz
the truck has been lowerd 4" wearing corvette rallys, with 275-60-15's on all four corners, I believe the motor is going to make a real nice home in there.... oh the smog pump stuff can be blocked off if im correct, is there anything cheap that can be added for HP and TQ, the truck is mainly used for pulling cars a 16' car trailer, it has a 700r4 that could use a good building....... any ideas???? thanx
Yea, dont use the 700r4. Get a better tranny. Whether an old style like a th350 or 400, or a new one with a computor to control it like the 4l60e or the 4l80e.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

we thought about beefing up the 700r4, with b&m goodies, and corvette servos, and a slite stall.....
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Its up to you really. I personally dont like the 700r4.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

he'd like to keep it cruiseable, with 3.42's or the 3.73's, and bark the tires when shifting!!! its going to be a good little projected, if anybody has any tips on wireing or computering this thang that would be appreciated....thanx
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

hopefully you have an engine harness and an ECU.. being your putting a '90 TPI in a '87 TBI, I would hope the connectors from engine- chassis/ dash harness match. they may not being from diffrent models, but it wouldn't have been in Chevy's favor to engineer several types of connectors that do the same thing.. the TPI swap has been done so it may be fairly straight forward.. if not, you just need to splice out connections with the wiring diagrams.. TPI ECU should plug into the trucks harness.. beyond that, I'm not sure.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

TPI looks cool, otherwise isn't anything that special performance wise. From the factory its 245hp, and 3xxlb-ft... are you sure it's not a 305? They're way more common and it seems like everyone tries to sell them as 350's

I'm not sure why a 700r4 is any worse then a 4L60e, they're the same transmission without and with electronic controls, can be built up the same, perform the same, same gear ratios... the 700 will be cheaper and easier with that engine, no separate computer just for the transmission (or aftermarket swap, gm or otherwise to do both)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

yea its a 350, it has it on the back of the block "GM 5.7", yeah they are cool, and i beleive they have more potincal mayb bigger camshaft, headers, bigger injector if needed, I wonder could the EGR be blocked off??? the dang thang is under the intake!!! and if anybody could tell me whats needed to get the TPI motor to run like it should in the bay of the older model truck please, if Im rite painless wireing makes everything for that?? and if someone could give the specs on the TPI motor like fac cam specs, and what size valves, and the flow on the heads, these motors are really cool....... thanx for the help guys!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Here's a link to the guys who have designed stand alone harnesses for your motor.
http://www.howellefi.com/customer/gm-tpi-products/

I've dealt with them in the past and there's very few with the same knowledge of TPI motors. You will need the computer and more than likely the gauges wont work the same. Your dealing with a lot more things going on with the TPI like 6 more injectors, MAS air flow, Speed density, and a handfull of other things.

I'm not trying to scare you with this but don't be fooled that you can just change wiring and couple connectors. In the past, Ive sent them my harness and computer from the donor motor and they set it up for an easy install in your application. It's not a difficult process but it takes a few bucks and a bit of work. The one I did was in an El Camino that wasn't computer controlled already so they made it into a stand alone application.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.