TPI computer setup for truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 03:58 PM
mudbogger

Wiki Edits: 0

TPI computer setup for truck

Which TPI set up would be the easiest to fit on a 93 chevy truck, and what would be the best year camaro, corvette, ect. to pull the computer from?

Advertisement

Last edited by 11secmudtrk; 12-05-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A computer for a 93 chevy pickup.

What are you trying to do? MUST HAVE MORE INFO!!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:25 AM
mudbogger

edit

Last edited by 11secmudtrk; 12-05-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Not enough info. old style tpi? mass air flow?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
mudbogger

Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Is your 93' a stock TBI setup? If it is, your swap will be like the one I am about to do over the next few weeks.

I have a 94' Suburban and will be installing the TPI from my 91' GTA in a few weeks. You need to make a phone call to Street & Performance before proceeding with this project. They have done this and have all the parts and technical support you will need. Ask for Jason.

I just ordered a stand alone computer (weatherproof for underhood installation), TPI wiring harness, an integrator harness that jumps between the new computer and the original computer. The original computer is left intact with no chip change to run other aspects of the truck, including but not limited to ABS, transmission 4L60E, etc. The two must be able to communicate since the trans needs engine load information to function (TPS, etc.) They will sell you a custom chip, and a TPI knock sensor. I was told that a TBI knock sensor is different. You will need a new throttle cable to work with the TPI. In order to fit the TPI unit, you will need accessory brackets off a serpentine belt 5.7L Camaro/Firebird. And don't forget a new air cleaner. S&P can sell you all this stuff.

A high pressure in-tank fuel pump is necessary. You can get one from a local parts store. I installed one that fits a stock 91' Firebird GTA with a 5.7L. It is a direct replacement, including the wiring plug.

Since my TPI unit is already apart, I will also have my injectors cleaned by S&P.

I plan on documenting my swap with pictures, etc. and post it on my website. Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 12-12-2004, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

custom classic truck magazine did a few articles on tpis that were very good one callled the hows and whys of tpis. it answered all those questions. the "waterproof" computer is nothing more than a factory vette comp it was mounted in the engine compartment instead of the pass. kick panel(camaro)..
the injectors are one of three 305,350, vette 350 something like 19.5,21.5, and 24.5 lb hr. i read that the computers can be re programmed by s&p even a 4 or 6 cyl comp. .. they say the 350 computers all have the antitheft chip and if installed alone will only run for 10 seconds and shut down. VAT chip i think but the 305 computers dont have this and they can program them to run the 350 injectors. from what ive found s&p are the kings of knowledge for gm tpis and can give you all the info you need.
ive also heard that if you have a maf model tpi you absolutely must use a painless wiring harness to bypass the maf and run properly unless youuse the og harness with an out dated maf system. the newer speed density versions are supposed to be 100 times better, and the 9 injector models are outdated and can be converted to an 8 injector cold start by using the new computer and plugging the 9 injector holes in the rail and runners with parts from S&P.

EDGE ---
who is jesus ??
jesus is and was a real person who walked the earth. jesus died for you and me, for every sin every man has ever done. jesus died so you and i could be forgiven and be lifted up to heaven once we parish(all hot rods must be left behind at this time, sorry) he lived to forgive every and any one who believes in him, and if you dont well ........the elevator is going down. so this is where we come in to go out in to all the world and spread the word of jesus..there is too much junk going aroung about religion and no one knows whats behind christmas whats this world coming to?

Last edited by oklowride; 12-12-2004 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:11 AM
mudbogger

so i can get the computer out of a v6 car and just buy the injector harness, throttle body, and get the chip reprogramed right? basically something like this http://hotrodders.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=224052

Last edited by 11secmudtrk; 12-12-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

11 is that your engine?? sweet lookin
the article i have says yes on using a 6shooter computer but the chip has to be reprogrammed and can be custom progammed to give you exactly what you want. it even lists part #s and what years to yank them from, check out the info at classictrucksweb.com go to the search box on the bottom left of the page and search TPI and the top 2 articles tell you everything about tpis. also go to S&P website hotrodlane.cc or .com and they have a video you can download, my computer doesnt have the memory to do so. hope this info helps

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.