TPI Q's: - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
mini me

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TPI Q's:

Since i just recently purchased a '85 TPI off of a 85 Iroc i was wondering if i could use any wiring harness from any TPI from 85-91(OR 92)?
Could i put a supercharger on my engine w/the TPI on there?
and my engine itself (the block) has been stroked to a 383, but i have 305 F.I. heads on it now, pretty soon I'll be putting that TPI on top of it do think Ill have any problems w/that combo? If ya, why?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Since i just recently purchased a '85 TPI off of a 85 Iroc i was wondering if i could use any wiring harness from any TPI from 85-91(OR 92)?
No, 85' uses a MAF system, whereas 90-92 is SD (speed-density). And depending on the year, they also have different ECMs, distributors, knock sensors, etc.

Could i put a supercharger on my engine w/the TPI on there?
Yes.

and my engine itself (the block) has been stroked to a 383, but i have 305 F.I. heads on it now, pretty soon I'll be putting that TPI on top of it do think Ill have any problems w/that combo? If ya, why?
What engine is your TPI off of, a 350 or 305? If 305, forget about it without first getting 350 injectors. If your 383 is a strong engine (400+ HP), the 350 injectors may not work either. Increased fuel pressure may help. If MAF, it is more forgiving with engine mods (i.e. cams & heads). However, SD, you will need a new chip.

Your third question is too broad. Be very specific with your engine specifications and the TPI system you are working with.

I will tell you this, www.thirdgen.org has more information on TPI than you could read in a year. I am not exaggerating about this. Check it out, you can read for hours and hours and keep learning about TPI and ECM/PROMS. Another good summary about different TPI systems can be found at www.chevythunder.com.

Ed www.edgesz28.com

Did You Know?

Last edited by edge; 02-18-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:46 AM
mini me

Last photo:

thanx, i need all the input i can get
Old 02-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 85 wiring harness is unique. No other year harness is like it. Period. In 85 they used on relay for the power/burnoff relay for the mass airflow sensor. In 86 that changed to two seperate relays. Using an 85 computer with an 86 harness will give you troubles. Trust me I've been there lol.

Ditch the 305 heads. They, along with the stock TPI manifold and runners, are restricting your airflow. Like was said, bigger injectors, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator will really help out.

You can supercharge a MAF TPI, but prepare to pay for it. Speed density is supposedly easier to S/C and there are more companies out there making units for them, thus its a bit cheaper. But do a search on google because there are a few companies making kits for the MAF type setup. Before you do this however, you need to solve your airflow issues. A Supercharger is going to do about squat with those heads and stock manifold.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:33 PM
mini me

Last photo:

well the supercharger was just out of courisity, but I'll keep it in mind for later on down the road, depending on how well i get this to go to together. What if w/o the s/c I kept the 305 heads on it for the compression and just got a bigger intake, injecteros,fuel rails,etc., etc., etc.,? Would that be alright you think or do ya think I'd still be waisting my time? Somebod at work told me that a 383 w/tpi wouldn't work because I'd have to modify my ecm and he also mentioned that my valve clearence wouldn't clear. If that so how come theres people out there w/ 383 tpi's pushing a healthy 4-500horses? You know? I had like the "basic" idea of what i want to do,but not exactly. I'm deffinetly starting to get there now thanx to you guys, I appreciate all the input evrybody shared w/ me on this subject.

Last edited by jesse01; 02-20-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 305 heads are always going to be holding you back, regardless of which intake you use. Right now, the airflow of the intake, runners, and head runners are holding you back. 305 heads belong on 305's, and without major porting, dont even flow very well for a 350 let alone a 383.

Unless you are using pistons designed to lower your compression, using 64cc aftermarket heads, or some good stock castings from the 350 will give you plenty of compression.

Point is, you can keep the 305 heads, but you will never see the potential of your 383 with them. That size head was kept on the 305's for a reason . They never were intended to flow for an extra 80 cubic inches of motor.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:50 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Right, I'm a "moron" Ise what your saying now. Your probably think Im a retard (so did the last person iasked this Q to) what if I had a radical cam in it would that mess me up?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I dont think your a moron lol. I just want you to realize that that engine has a lot of potential given the right combo.

MAF are a bit more forgiving than the speed denisty setup. The main thing you want to keep in mind about the cam is the LSA spec. Generally one between 112-114 is where you want. Goto www.lingenfelter.com and look at thier L98 hyrdaulic cams (not the rollers but the flat tappet) and look at their specs. Keep in mind most of their specs are with 1.6 rockers. That should give you an idea of what area cam you should be going for. Also keep in mind your vavle springs might not be able to take the amount of lift you want to put it.

TPIS and Lingenfelter have some good TPI grinds. It depends on the rest of your car as well . . weight, stall, gears etc.

Any cam thats noticeably bigger than stock will need a custom prom to get the full benefits of it, and get correct idle.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 PM
mini me

Last photo:

You seem to know alot about tpi set-up and the different combo conversions from carb. to f.i., did you go through this before by youself (one of those learn the hard way experience's). Hey I appreciate all the help thus far....so ya think if i got a bigger cam I might as well go ahead and get stronger springs? Also i have the old carb. 350 heads that was on my motor before i put those f.i. ones on there, there still like brand new I had 'em resurfaced and new valve guides put in, but do you know if they make an intake to bolt on carb. heads to convert it to tpi? or something like it?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Heads are heads. There really isn't a difference between FI heads and carb heads. The only difference in head styles would be would be the intake bolt holes. In 87 the pattern changed slightly for the center 4 holes. If you have an 85 or 86 TPI, it will work with the older style heads. If you have an 87 or later, you'll have to take your intake manifold to a machine shop and have them slot it for the older style heads. Its no biggie for them really.

I have put an 85 TPI on a 72 block in a 66 GMC truck. That is where I gained most of my knowledge and experience with TPI's from. I probably had every problem imagineable getting that thing to work. However nothing was really that complicated . . . just a lot of small things that being unfamiliar with the FI made it hard. Now I wouldn't go back to a carb short of having a gun to my head.

I dont know what kind of 350 heads you have (give us a casting number so we know what type of heads you have) so I cant really tell you how much of a benefit its going to be putting them on. My best suggestion is to save up your money and get some aftermarket iron heads like Dart's. They usually come with pretty hefty springs, and will flow enough for your 383 to really breathe. After which, I would invest in a Big Mouth manifold for the TPI. Then you'll really start to see the power add up.

Its not cheap by any means. The draw back of FI is that most components and upgrades are far more expensive than a carb setup. The bigmouth alone is going to run you close to, if not over 400 dollars. I am looking at putting the full Superram manifold on in place of my stock manifold and runners and plenum. All told that unit will cost as much as my heads did. But then the prospects of power really open up.

There are many people running that setup (the superram) on 383's on their C4 corvettes with timeslips in the 11's. Like I said, costly, but if you want a powerful FI, worth it. You cant beat that kind of horsepower combined with the fuel economy.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Well, I know when I was putting on the f.i. intake that it wouldn't fit my carb heads....the bolt holes were so close it wasn't funny, but they sat at to much of an angle, so I had to go back up to the junkyard find the car I had already pulled the intake & throttle body off of and go to town ripping the heads off......but i also herd that vortech makes an intake to go down on carb heads for f.i., but then again it also came from one of my co-workers that we call "liar liar" lol.....ya seriously we call 'em liar liar he'll stack a lie on top of a lie and think he's getting over on ya....

No wonder you seem to know so much about an 85 tpi ..........................(85 tpi+72 block+66 truck=lots of research) Ya that sounds like me too...watch I'll try and everything and it's brother will go wrong (murphy's law) because it'll be my 1st one I put in .....but ain't that how it always happens though? Oh well live n learn.

I had already planned to get the #'s off of those carb heads tomorrow so I can run the #'s on 'em tom. along w/ my cam. A buddy of mine gave me (he say's it a radical cam) but we''ll see tom. it's alright I sold 'em a stock one out of a 305 I used to have sitting out back (about a year ago)

I just talked to another guy I know yesterday he's had work done to his heads not to long ago there carb. too but his truck sounds real healthy anyway he works on all his stuff too, and now w/ gas prices they way are he was talking like he wanted my carb heads to put on his truck. Idon't know exactly what they are, but I know there for 350 I'll find out here in the next couple day's whenever I see 'em

Boy your not kidding this tpi stuff starts getting expensive...especially when you start to get into aftermarket stuff but it doe's seem like the best way to go for fuel effecieny+horsepower opposed to carb=horsepower but it takes gas+gas+gas+gas+gas+gas+gas+gas+gas you know!

What, are you working on the same tpi in the 66 truck? but it sounds like you have serious plans for your set-up too......is yours a daily driver or you making it to a weekend warrior? I'll probably have another year or two before they give me my Lic. back so I have all that time while I'm waiting for my Lic. to get a little done here and little bit there & hopefully by the time I get my Lic. I'll be done on my car, & if I'm not, or even close well ............................lets just say i got really pissed off it'l probably be that "murphy's law" we were talking about j/k I love my car

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.