tpi s10 having some problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 10:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tpi s10 having some problems

how you guys doin my names phil, ive gone all over looking for help but just havent found a good answer , i put a 350 in a 93 s10, its bored .030 over, 10.72 compression, dart iron eagle heads, ported and polished, a comp cam .510 in., .520 ex, 230, 236 duration, with the correct valve springs, its tpi which i dont like anymore but im to far in to it to go back, i have slp runners 30 lb/hr injectors, fuel pressure is set at 45 psi, a 58mm bbk throttle body i have a motorvation custom computer chip, painless harness, msd billet distributor and a crane fireball ignition, my cam is degreed in at the machine shop so i set the timing to 0 degrees with the timing advanced unplugged and engine trying to idol , now this motor skips like crazy at all rpms and wont idle, all plugs are getting wet with fuel,i think im to rich but with new plugs it should be fine for a few minutes,unless possibly it is dumping so much fuel its hydro locking to a point,i have checked spark at each plug and it s fine, my valves are adjusted a slight bit loose but not clapping,they are hydraulic roller and they are all pumping up ok but i cant perfectly tune them with an engine that bounces all around cause it skips so bad.i have done a compression test and all cylinders are about 200 psi .. anyways do you think it could be a vaccuum leak? to rich?or just to much for tpi?if you have any questions or need more info i can tell you everything ive done, im really about to buy an intake and carb. i appreciate anything you can help me with, also if you know anyone in the eastern massachusetts area that is good with tpi ill go see them

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m not much help on this subject, but I know a little on TPI. I think your assumption is right, you have too much cam and airflow mods for a TPI, I would think your combo would have to be placed on a computer where a Chip could be customized to your engine. I`ve heard lots that FI systems don`t like big cams, especially the size your running, I`m sure someone else on the board can be more help than I am, so I leave this open to opinion.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:53 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking, so do you wanna buy a tpi setup....lol, thanks for the help but if anyone really does now anything about tpi, or any comment at all im here, thanks again
Old 09-08-2003, 02:14 AM

Is it a mass air flow or speed density tpi setup?
Any extra info you could give would be great.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I think your setup will work fine with the TPI, but what are the specifics on it.

As stated above large cams dont get along real well with oe computer setups. The problem comes down to a lack of manifold vacuum with large cams. However, your is not really large enough to cause bad problems I dont think. I am betting you need a custom chip for that cam profile.

I am running a 525 lift 250 duration cam and just got the engine started with my edelbrock system. It only idles at 10 inches of vacuum, but still runs perfectly even though it is a little fat at idle. I have not been able to actually drive yet, but no idle problems at all. I bring this up to let you know I think there is hope if you get the chip right.

I would check and make sure there is no trash in the fuel sytem causing the injectors to stick. Just an idea.

Chris
Old 09-08-2003, 02:41 PM

the truck is speed density and the chip was custom burnt by motorvation, they have all my cam specs. injector sizes and every other little detail about my engine, they say that my problem is not the chip, i appreciate you guys trying to help, you actually seem interested, ill find the pics of the motor and attach them later so you can check it out, any more help would be appreciated
Old 09-08-2003, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

If i was reading this right you have the ignition timing set a 0 degrees? is the timing controlled by the computer at idle? if not set your timing to 36 at or around 3000rpm.

I got this wrong i thought you had changed out to a carb not computer controlled.

Last edited by roys63; 09-10-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:15 PM

i noticed you said it was skipping at all speeds can it be pinpointed to any particular cyls. also fuel pressure seems a little high for idle (is it adjustable)try more like 30-35psi. theres a vacume fuel pressure regulator on most tpi systems it should not read that high till w.o.t. and 45 is usually about the max. the lack of vacume may be creating problems there. is this an oem fuel system and computer just with prom and wiring mods and if so about what year. it makes a difference in the year for some of the setups, like base ign timing a lot of them need more like 6-8 deg, tps should be around .60 - .70 volts , when setting fuel pressure you really need a scanner to be able to read the ecm, your looking for injector pulse withs, there read out in miliaseconds, around 1.5 m/s at idle give or take is close to the range , you will probably have to play with it some(fine tune it) but this is a good place to start. everyone turns the fuel pressure up trying to compensate for lean conditions only to find that it usually complicates the problems, having the right prom and injectors is a good start. and if your running the stock intake, plenium and runners, your gona find them a little limiting on the high side. hope this was a little help for ya good luck mikey
Old 09-08-2003, 09:59 PM

you disconnect the timing advanced which is a little brown wire that unplugs in the cars harness between where it plugs into the computer and where it drops its first wires from the harness, usually under the hood but sometimes undser the dash, on an older injection system and set the timing to its spec. which i was told was 0 degrees, the setup is for a 1991 camaro the computer and chip are new...the stock chip is a 1991 camaroz28 350 with no vehicle anti theft(vats). the motorvation chip piggybacks the stock chip kinda like a jet performance chip..if there is another timing setting then i was told wrong, although ive tried turning the distributor both ways and it didnt seem to make a difference, i believe it was when i advanced it probably 8 degrees it was starting to come around and idol but it skips like crazy, ive tried to pin point it to a cylinder but you cant thats why i think it may be more than one.. i think im almost stuck on vaccuum leak or fuel, i will definetely change the fuel pressure down and try from there to get a tech 1 and start checking all the sensors, map sensor, knock sensor etc....i set the tps correctly by the painless wiring hand book, and thouroughly read it many times to make sure i didnt miss something, i will get back with some results this weekend, but keep the info coming i appreciate it
Old 09-09-2003, 05:59 PM

according to my info, factory 1991 tpi 5.7s are 6 deg. btc. even 5.0 tpi is 6 , only the tbi 5.0s are 0, i think id try 6 btc. to start 92s went to 8 btc it realy depends on the timing curve programed into the proms , usually they dont change the overall curve unless nessessary they do have it come in a little sooner or later sometimes, the biggest thing they mess with is usually the fuel maping, espically with speed density systems. you may have to play with it a little but 6 btc would be a good place to start. and yes a brown wire with a white or tan stripe is usually the right timing connector to unplug when setting timing. if the plugs are sooty or wet all eight of them its probably a rich fuel condition.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Welcome to the "TPI omygo* what have I gotten myself into club". I too have a TPI. When you say it skips Do you mean it misses a cylinder or surges, does it backfire? I crossed the magnetic pick up wires on my MSD 6 and it caused it to back fire at rpm's over 2500 and I missed one vacuum port that made for an erratic idle. Good luck.

Welcome to the "TPI omygo* what have I gotten myself into club". I too have a TPI. When you say it skips Do you mean it misses a cylinder or surges, does it backfire? I crossed the magnetic pick up wires on my MSD 6 and it caused it to back fire at rpm's over 2500 and I missed one vacuum port that made for an erratic idle. Good luck.

Last edited by 67malibuEFI; 09-09-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

does it run cruddy when its cold?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Does this system use a MAP sensor if so you can use a hand held vacuum pump with the Gage and fake out the map , pump it up to about 18 " of vacuum and start it up and see how it runs at idle Do Not Rev it . you may not have enough manifold vacuum with the cam you are running .
Old 09-14-2003, 08:57 PM

ive been workin to much and havent been able to hit the garage ill def. check it out this week, if it comes down to having to change the injectors im buyin an intake and carb to make me smile, probably be faster with the carb.?what do u think....
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 AM

did you ever get the tpi system up and runin or did you give up and carb it i also did a tpi swap on my s10 bored 60 over cam head work painless wirring 92 compter i did the swap my self and im 17teen there was a munch of times were i just wish i had when with old school carb but no i wanted tpi for daily driver the only thing i had to do was raze my idel up runs like a top mine would not idel intel than if you lookin to make crazy power go with a carb if you like a daily driver tpi is the way to go

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.