TPI Setup: yay or nay? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
if its free and you drive your car on the street often then I'd jump on it.
Yeah I drive it a lot. Even considering driving it all year round, even in Northeast Ohio weather.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I look at a 383 build as being either a mega torque deal for a heavy vehicle or towing, etc, OR to make a 400-450 HP engine w/o needing as much cam as a 355 SBC would need. If you are using the engine at moderate power levels, a 355 would have been sufficient and I'd also say a stock TPI could get the job done for a DD that was a year-'round driver that needed to get decent mileage.

For a 383, the stock TPI is going to limit the top end of the engine, and will likely need reprogramming to go w/the other things like wiring, sensors, etc. If you have the entire TPI vehicle as a donor, the deal could be pulled off relatively easily/cheaply as long as you're up for it. If you have to start buying sensors, harnesses, etc. the cost will rise quickly.

If you want all the power available that a 383 SBC can deliver (depending on the cam) aftermarket TPI induction parts are going to be needed, and they co$t. Injectors, too. If building the 383 to its potential was the plan, do it from the get-go instead of tuning it for the stock TPI.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1320
The main advantage of the FI is the better mileage return and idle quality over the carb. Buy a wide band o2 sensor and gauge first. (You will need it if you convert to FI) Use the wide band to tune your carb to the best possible mileage and idle/cruise quality. You may find for the cost, FI isn't necessary.
I have a TPI unit in the garage but installation is too costly at this time to justify it for the limited number of miles it would get driven. When you do install it, do it right. Do you really want a fuel pump and sensors from a salvage yard? How do you know what condition the injectors are in? Some times doing it cheap costs more in the long run.

I wouldn't use the fuel pump, as most likely it's not going to fit his application anyways without some customization. But I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the sensors. If you get a bad one, you get a bad one. But going out and buying all new sensors is CERTAINLY going to be more costly that replacing the one or two that MAY be bad.

If I was keeping the budget tight, I'd run the stock injectors unless they were too small for the application. If you're working with the stock 19lb injectors on a 383, I'd bypass them and get something larger to start with. I bought some FORD SVO injectors off ebay for my swap years back. I think I paid like 100-120 for the set. I believe I used 24lb.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I look at a 383 build as being either a mega torque deal for a heavy vehicle or towing, etc, OR to make a 400-450 HP engine w/o needing as much cam as a 355 SBC would need. If you are using the engine at moderate power levels, a 355 would have been sufficient and I'd also say a stock TPI could get the job done for a DD that was a year-'round driver that needed to get decent mileage.

For a 383, the stock TPI is going to limit the top end of the engine, and will likely need reprogramming to go w/the other things like wiring, sensors, etc. If you have the entire TPI vehicle as a donor, the deal could be pulled off relatively easily/cheaply as long as you're up for it. If you have to start buying sensors, harnesses, etc. the cost will rise quickly.

If you want all the power available that a 383 SBC can deliver (depending on the cam) aftermarket TPI induction parts are going to be needed, and they co$t. Injectors, too. If building the 383 to its potential was the plan, do it from the get-go instead of tuning it for the stock TPI.
Actually I bought that engine with the intentions of having a nice cruiser with power. I wanted a car with show and go. And also to learn.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

If it were me in that situation, I'd take the time to get over the tuning curve, do the TPI, and upgrade as I go. Get it running on the stock TPI, and as you go along, upgrade the intake parts (base manifold, runners, plenum, etc) and retune for it. A company called Moates makes the hardware needed to burn chips for the stock ECM, or I think you can run a piggyback so you don't have to physically install new chips each time you want to flash a new tune.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro820
I wanted a car with show and go. And also to learn.
While not the best out there by any means in terms of power and technology, I still think the TPI unit is one of the best looking intake setups there are.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

You can get 24lb injectors off an lt1, 20 bucks at a junkyard. I would run a msns computer, I'm biased though as I have one and I LOVE it! Mine was 125 used. Then look at upgrading the runners if you want to go over 5000 rpm. That's really all the upgrading you would need to do. You can also port the stock lower, upper, and throttle body for some gains up top.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
You can get 24lb injectors off an lt1, 20 bucks at a junkyard. I would run a msns computer, I'm biased though as I have one and I LOVE it! Mine was 125 used. Then look at upgrading the runners if you want to go over 5000 rpm. That's really all the upgrading you would need to do. You can also port the stock lower, upper, and throttle body for some gains up top.
msns......? could you elaborate some? i am building a efi tpi 355 and am using the injectors from an lt1 also. i have been looking into msII.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Its ms1 hardware with better firmware. It updates to a 12x12 table and allows you to control spark.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

ah very cool. Do you prefer megatune or tunerstudio? Hopefully if I get enough money together to actually buy the ecu and finish putting the top end together ill be tuning around summertime.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I dunno. If I'm gonna go FI, then I would go with an LS engine. There's one on craigslist for $900,complete with 40k miles on it. Includes wiring, sensors, the whole nine.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Wow if you can really get a good running LS1 for 900 bucks with everything, DO IT. Even if you're not going to use it lol.

They're up on ebay all the time for 1.5-2k + shipping.

I'm actually selling mine + the transmission at way more than that.

Just be aware that you're probably going to have to invest more to get the LS1 going, as there may be extra hardware you need to get it set into the car, plus any adapters to get it in front of whatever transmission you're using. It can add up.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro820
I dunno. If I'm gonna go FI, then I would go with an LS engine. There's one on craigslist for $900,complete with 40k miles on it. Includes wiring, sensors, the whole nine.
wow grab it. You will need to get ls mounts and as stated adapt the transmission to the engine but way worth it. You will need to upgrade the fuel system too but since you were already planning on going the FI route this will be a must do either way.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Haha, I think I will. I am going to call the guy and see why it's only $900. Still seems a little shady. Plus being around Christmas time, it's gonna be a little tough.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Be sure it is what it is. Just to give you reference, I turned down an offer of $1500 on my LS1 just yesterday, because I know I can get more. If it come with everything (longblock, sensors, accessories, pulleys, etc), $900 is a steal.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.