TPI Setup: yay or nay? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TPI Setup: yay or nay?

i have an 84 camaro with a crate 383 engine. i have the chance to put a TPI setup from another camaro, stock with computer, the whole nine yards. now my question is: should i keep the carb setup or should i convert over to the TPI and would it be worth it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 PM

oh by the way. ive heard from a couple of people that a TPI setup is only good for 300ish hp. now is that a load of monkey dung or legit?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro820
oh by the way. ive heard from a couple of people that a TPI setup is only good for 300ish hp. now is that a load of monkey dung or legit?
Its monkey dung!!

I like carbs! But if your talking about stock carb and intake 0ver tuned port injection Id go t.b.i
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro820
i have an 84 camaro with a crate 383 engine. i have the chance to put a TPI setup from another camaro, stock with computer, the whole nine yards. now my question is: should i keep the carb setup or should i convert over to the TPI and would it be worth it?

Depends on what you want the 84 to do and how much of beating your Visa card can take. There are Mass Air Flow (MAF) operated TPIs and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) TPIs it depends on year, so you need to ID that. The MAF uses a heated wire to measure air flow into the engine, a 383 is going to use more than a 305 or a 350 the probable source of the TPI. MAF is a simpler solution in that regard than MAP which figures out how much air is going through the motor by taking the throttle blade position, manifold vacuum, and RPMs then doing a bunch of fast arithmetic to figure the mass flow out, these require a lot more fiddling around inside the computer when the engine size or other modifications are made that change mass flow than MAF systems but they don't go to the end of the rainbow either without help.

The TPI has smallish passages to speed up the air flow which gives the engine better low speed throttle response, but slices off the high speed end. A 383 eats into the upper revs by virtue of its greater air demand. This can be solved with extensive porting or outright replacement of the manifolding.

Injection will be more friendly to fuel mileage and low RPM high speed cruise, but is less friendly to your wallet when modifying it for more power. 300 horses isn't the limit, feeding fuel is the biggest issue but you can get injectors up to 90 pounds per hour which is 3 about times what the factory put in there, but again its costly. So you can build a very high performance injection system even from factory parts but it's expensive especially against a carburetor, like out of the box 750 bucks for a carb and 3500 for injection of the same high performance ability.

Bogie
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have been running a 383 with Edelbrock Proflo EFI for 10 years and have not touched it since initial tuning. I have been running a 327 with the 2 barrel version of the same EFI for 9 years and the same is true with it. I will not go back to carbs again. TPI is a good set up for the smaller displacement motors and daily driving. If you want to go bigger displacement and lots of muscle, spend the bucks and go for the latest after market stuff which is a good step above the Proflow.

Trees
Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Last photo:

Done this before. The TOTAL airflow for the stock TPI is only about 385cfm. If that is enough for you then it will have tons of low end torque but total airflow is just a small two barrel.
The runners are the biggest problem. I ran a Vette in road racing and nothing we did helped until we acid etched the runners inside.
If you replace the runners with bigger ones, it will help a lot!!
Edelbrock Big Mouth runs pretty good, others are available and ALL outrun the stock TPI.
Check on the forums http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ and http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/index.php. There are others but if you search for TPI on there you will see what you want to know.
I like EFI but there are much better systems out there. If you want to go fast, the carb will KILL the stock TPI!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

wow thanks guys! you guys helped me make my decision. im all about keeping cost down especially in todays economy. i was never really fan of computers. my brother had a 95 TA and had it machined to a 383 and what a big mess. so much money he dumped into that thing whereas i can just buy mechanical parts and practically get the same results at a fraction of the cost. heck, even just to tune his computer was an extra $250? i think? im trying to keep it close to the old school muscle era as possible since to me, those were the good ol days. but thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
Its monkey dung!!

I like carbs! But if your talking about stock carb and intake 0ver tuned port injection Id go t.b.i
haha no no no. its a complete crate. nothing stock BUT the injectors and intake and such is from another camaro so that would be stock. not sure what year but it was a 350.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I don't know where the 3500 figure came from but if you don't mind buying parts used you can almost get it done for 350. If you want a better computer than stock it goes up to about 500. 3500 is about what ill have in my entire 280z when I'm done, including purchase price, body panels, paint, computer, wiring, injectors, bushings, gasket kit, cam, turbo, etc.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Ok now you have me pondering.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yeah you can do a TPI setup pretty cheap these days. Especially if you have a donor vehicle for all the sensors and wiring. Where it gets expensive is the aftermarket wiring or if you're missing a bunch of sensors.

A TPI with some aftermarket manifolds can really flow a lot of air. I ran one for a long time on my old 66 pickup, and I'm pretty confident it was pushing over 300 hp .

Tuning can get spendy if you're paying someone to do it right, but if you invest the time and knowledge, you can do it yourself rather inexpensively.

If you're keeping this car for the long haul, invest in the injection. It will pay for itself over time. People might say "well for that cost, it will take you 10 years to pay it off". Well the people that said THAT 10 years ago probably didn't expect gas to be nearly 4 bucks a gallon .
Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

The main advantage of the FI is the better mileage return and idle quality over the carb. Buy a wide band o2 sensor and gauge first. (You will need it if you convert to FI) Use the wide band to tune your carb to the best possible mileage and idle/cruise quality. You may find for the cost, FI isn't necessary.
I have a TPI unit in the garage but installation is too costly at this time to justify it for the limited number of miles it would get driven. When you do install it, do it right. Do you really want a fuel pump and sensors from a salvage yard? How do you know what condition the injectors are in? Some times doing it cheap costs more in the long run.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

TPI setups make great street engines. Lots of bottom end, but they are all done by 5500rpm. They simply can't flow enough to support higher rpm. What cam is in that 383 that you have? What compression, what heads? If the cam is mild and the heads are small, then go with the TPI. If the cam is big and the heads can flow some good amounts of air, then a TPI setup will choke it. In that case go with a carb.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:33 PM

The cam size is a middle of the road cam I guess. It's not big yet it's not small. Don't know the brand of it since blueprint didn't have a list of the products they use. But the heads are 2.02, 1.60 aluminum heads. Gas mileage isn't that bad actually. And the only reason why I was considering the Tpi was because its all free haha
Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

if its free and you drive your car on the street often then I'd jump on it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.