Hot Rod Forum banner

TPI speedometer problems

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  fatnlow 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am having problems installing an electric tpi speedometer. I realize the company is out of business. No surprise there. I should have purchased a mechanical one but now is not the time to flip back. I have tried all the instructions given but with no results. Anyone out there installed one successfully or know someone that has, do you have any hints or problem solving techiques that would help? I have a 350 chevy trans. that I am hoping to connect with. I appreciate the help. Joe

#3 ·
Thanks Vicrod, I checked and found others with similar problems. My speedometer never gets off "calculating" until I shut the car off. I will check the sender and inspect for missing parts. If the sender is the problem, can I purchase another one from a different company (gauge) using just a different sender? As of course, TPI must be tired of explaining how their product is supposed to work, and has decided to close. I also read that the pulses should range between 4,000 and 150,000. Is the sender adjustable, and if so how is this accomplished?

Appreciate it, Joe

#4 ·
I had the same problem with my VDO speedometer. I was able do a test of the pulse generator and found it to be defective. I replaced it and it now works OK.
First -- I determined that the transmission gears were working and, in fact, turning the sender. There is a gear on the output shaft of transmission that drives the gear on the speedometer device.
Second--I removed the sender from the transmission leaving the wiring connected.
-Connect a voltmeter (analog type works better for this) + lead to terminal #2 and - lead to terminal #3. Turn ON the ignition. You should measure 5-12 volts dc.
-Move the + meter lead to terminal #8. Slowly rotate the square drive input shaft of the sender. The meter should read 0-4-0-4-0-4 volts as the sender generates pulses.
If the meter stays at fixed voltage the sender is defective.
There are vendors that sell these senders on the internet. I believe Daytona is the brand.
Scroll down to see more threads on this issue.

vicrod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.