Hot Rod Forum banner

TPI-Tech Gauges

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1932 Ford coupe and it has TPI-tech gauges.The gauges are gold with black numbers and red needles. The fuel gauge isn't working ao after checking out the wiring and finding nothing wrong I pulled the sending unit out of the tank and it is froze up.Question how do I match up a sending unit with the gauge???

#2 ·
I use a potentiometer connected in place of the sending unit. Dial in the resistance until the gauge reads empty or full, then measure the potentiometers resistance at empty and full. The resistance readings should correspond to GM, Ford, Chrysler, or Stewart-Warner style sending units. You can get some resistors from Radio Shack and connect them until you get the readings, you only need to be in the ball park on the readings to see which sensor you need. Look online at Autometer, VDO, or some other manufacturer to see the resistances of the sending units.

#4 ·
You might try soaking the old sending unit in a plastic bag filled with coke, the soft drink....... It's amazing what a couple cans of coke soaking for 2-3 days, will do to gunked up parts. I've never tried it on a sending unit, but it works well on old elec motors etc..... not near as harsh as solvents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.