Hot Rod Forum banner

TPS sensor and Converter question.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rick WI 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my 1998 Jeep TJ 2.5L. I have had a weird rattling coming from what seems to be the cat Converter. I went to the dealer and they said it was shot "of course". I ran on it for a few months cause I didn't have the money to change it, but now the TPS sensor went away on me.

My Question, Can I repair the TPS sensor only for now, and wait for the Converter later? Another Garage I went to said that the TPS is linked to the converter and because the converter is gone, it blew the TPS sensor. Is that possible and related?

Also, I was thinking cheap way to go (understand my financial situation is bad, otherwise I would have replaced it) What if I took out the core of the Converter and left it empty and put a new TPS sensor. if there is a relation between the two, then would the TPS be affected by the empty Cat or not?

Any info appreciated.
Thanks guys!

#2 ·
The TPS sensor tells the engine it is at an idle condition and tells the engine the rate and duration of throttle input for acceleration enrichment. It's not related to a cat converter at all. The TPS failed on it's own.

#3 ·
The TPS (Throttle position Sensor) should in no way be affected by the CAT. The TPS is simply a reference sensor. It sends a certain amount of voltage (normally 5v I believe) into the sensor. Then based on the position of the lever (which changes based on how much the throttle is open) it sends a certain amount of voltage (usually .5v for closed and 4+ volts for WOT) back to the computer.

Unless Jeep has used a VERY different sensor setup, whoever told you that the cat blew out your TPS either is full of it, or genuinely has no clue what they are talking about.

Take it somewhere else and have them verify the TPS is gone. Or you can usually test it with a multimeter. Generally you need a third hand to actuate the throttle as you hold the two multimeter leads into the sensor. A book should have testing procedures.

#5 ·
I have another question, Is the TPS sensor's reading combined in some way with the Oxygen sensor reading in order for the computer to measure the fuel amount being injected?

#6 ·
At least on GM, Furd and aftermarket systems it's not. It affects fueling only from the standpoint of telling the computer when the throttle is at idle or cranking or when the throttle is moving which governs the accel enrichment. Wide open, under start conditions, also enables a clear flood sequence that shuts off the injectors on crank. Under normal cruise conditions the TPS would not feedback into the O2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.