TQ vs HP in its own thread! - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If memory serves he raced in the late 60`s, early 70`s. It seems not many had caught on to the idea during those years in that class of racing. He told me if it didn`t break, he never lost, but it did break alot.
He said he would tach it to around 9000 RPM, side step the clutch and hold on. His words were "if it didn`t break, you went fast"
He would only use GM 3 speed manual transmissions. The idea behind that was it was less gears to shift plus since the engine tached so fast you would be shifting into 3rd gear rather quickly, so when you add in that high RPM and 3rd gears 1:1 ratio the top end blast must have been a heck of a ride.
He told me a good bit about it as it did interest me. He said he had to play with the rear gear ratio a bit to get it how he wanted it. 5.13 gears seemed to work best he remembered.
He said the idea was he wanted the best of both worlds. He knew how important hole shot was and knew top end was important as well so he wanted to build something that did both. In the early 90`s when I seen the other high revvers they never won a race and why was obvious, they were using 5 speed transmissions and when your revving that high and fast there`s no way to shift it fast enough due to the close ratios of the 5 speeds they were using.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automotive breath
HP = Torque x RPM 5252

Where the argument? With out torque you have no HP.

As I noted you need some torque to have any horsepower, but with enough RPM the torque required to make a given amount of horsepower goes down- hence F1 engines.

So far not one person has given any empirical or theoretical evidence to suggest torque matters more than horsepower.

Not one.

There's been a lot of well, I know, he knew, I saw one time, I'm old therefor I'm right, etc. said, but not one strand of empirical or theoretical proof.

I'm just asking for one peace of evidence. The closest anyone has come is saying that torque is a FACTOR or horsepower, which it is, but it is not the sole factor. The discussion on translating the peak VE of a given engine to a point higher in the RPM range and losing torque but still going faster is one that the quarter mile is won on. And no one has provided any evidence to the contrary.

So continue on with the yelling and name calling, I'm just waiting for 1 solid answer.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Ya'll must be heads up racin......LOL
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
The discussion on translating the peak VE of a given engine to a point higher in the RPM range and losing torque but still going faster is one that the quarter mile is won on.

according to who?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
according to who?
Race car drivers, engine builders, camshaft designers, physicists, engineers, and I'm sure a lot of other people.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

But what if you're building engines in a class that's restricted? No porting, stock valve trains, rear end gear rules, carburetor rules, compression rules, and you can't just turn more rpms?

There's all sorts of class racing going on out there.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
But what if you're building engines in a class that's restricted? No porting, stock valve trains, rear end gear rules, carburetor rules, compression rules, and you can't just turn more rpms?

There's all sorts of class racing going on out there.
Which is why horsepower is what matters, in these situations you still have to raise the average horsepower for your run. If you have a 350 with 430 ftlbs at 2500 RPM and falling there after, and one with 400 ftlbs at 6,000 RPM, the second will be much more suited to racing. Yet your peak torque fell... Your average hp increased though (assuming your shifts center you around 6,000 RPM).

Your torque dropped but your horsepower rose, and you went faster...

Just because you can't turn past 6500 doesn't mean you want a torque peak at 3500 (even if it is larger). The closer your peak torque is to your peak power the better off you are (one reason for tight LSA's and larger lobe splits on race engines).

Average horsepower across the track will determine who is quicker and faster- assuming equally matched chasis/drivetrains.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 PM

You may be "college educated" but you sure are stupid. These guys have forgotten more hotrod knowledge than you will ever posess.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeoRocks
You may be "college educated" but you sure are stupid. These guys have forgotten more hotrod knowledge than you will ever posess.
I don't always agree with him and at this point I'm not sure what 'ap' is trying to prove with this thread but I don't think that was called for.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 PM

And nobody cares about yer G damn degrees. People come on here to talk cars and get help with stuff. Not debate about crap for the sole purpose to make yourself feel better, or more intelligent than the next guy. Maybe daddy did not pay enough attention to you...maybe thats why you have to cut and paste and spew all your "theorhetical evidence" to make yourself feel important. THEORY is not fact fool. Just like yesterday I was giving a kid some advice for a 383 stroker and you pop in talkin some crap about "that wont do anything for airflow" I was advising him to get a DP holley style carb vs. Vac secondary. Just another case where you think you know everything and were trying to put somebody down...still have no idea where that came from. With all yer genius knowledge where is your hot rod? It should be faster than a speeding bullet with all of your theory and expierience. Go piss up a rope KID.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Okay..I got a little heated... I should know better than to call names. It is a kinder, gentler generation where nobody is held accountable. I apologize. Maybe it was uncalled for...I'm over here in Afghanistan in a warzone..surrounded by self-proclaimed geniuses and people who think they are ultra-important. Sorry if I offended anybody.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Be safe BIGLEO and thank you for your service.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks. 42 days left.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
As I noted you need some torque to have any horsepower, but with enough RPM the torque required to make a given amount of horsepower goes down- hence F1 engines.
From a strictly mathematical standpoint, the argument that HP is somehow "more important" than Torque is nonsense. Let me illustrate:

You need Torque and RPM to make HP. Thus, torque and RPM are both 'Factors' in determining HP.

As stated several times before,
(Torque X RPM) / 5252 = HP

Just for the sake of (friendly) argument, let's look at a similar equation,
(Length X Width) / 43560 = Acres

You are telling us that HP is 'more important' than Torque because you can make more HP with less Torque given a greater RPM.

By saying that, you would also agree that the Acreage of a lot is 'more important' than it's Length because you can make more Acreage with less Length given a greater Width.

It's nonsense.

The confusion here begins when you put HP and Torque in the context of racing and what's quicker and/or faster, because hundreds of other 'Factors' come into play, such as gearing, traction, weight, etc. etc.. Then it's not as simple as torque, RPM, and HP anymore.

Peace...
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.