TQ vs HP in its own thread! - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
Goooooooo Bobcat

vroom vroom!!

What happens when these blind old dudes die? Will it take another 50 years before anything is figured out? If nothing is learned from them then their contribution ceases with their life. That's a very sad thing. If instead by some miracle you understand what the why and how of what they say and do then they might have contributed towards knowledge advancement of everyone.

There's a secret in education that you don't realize until you're in the real world. If you pay attention and learn the stuff in the books its like getting 50 years of experience, in some cases even more... There are a lot of people with degrees and little education, and there are some people without degrees that had a pretty good education (not nearly as many as who claim it though), but to not realize what is being offered in a textbook is foolish, and the reason I STILL take classes.

I would like the mod's to please lock this thread, PontaicPhil has gotten the jist of it by now and with the additional posts he made I feel any further discussion will be of little importance and/or merit.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM

By additional posts meaning the one pretty much stating that you are a little jerk? Have you ever really built an engine? Have you any mechanical skill? Or is it all classroom BS? Post a picture of your ride with a time-slip.

P.S Us guys learning from the "old blind dudes" are becoming "old blind dudes"

Hands on expierience my man...go find a guy and learn something instead of insulting peoples intelligence just to stroke your fractured ego.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

yes, posts just like that one.

I have a funny joke about blind dudes- well puppies.

Obama comes to town and is walking through the street and sees a girl with 3 newborn puppies, he asks her, "what kind of puppies are those?" and she says "they're democrats!"

Later that month he's back in town and brings over some of his buddies to see the puppies, he asks the girl again, "what kid of puppies are those?" She replies, "They're republicans!" He looks at her and asks, "I thought you told me those were democrats?" She answers, "They were, but their eyes were opened last week."
Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Picture and a time-slip. With all your genius you must have built the fastest street car in america!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeoRocks
Picture and a time-slip. With all your genius you must have built the fastest street car in america!

Only if silver dollars fell from the sky like rain.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Two more equally relevant quotes,

"Who put the bomp in the bomp buh bomp buh bomp
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong
Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop
Who put the dip in the dip dee dip dee dip"
- The Platters

"When you are younger you get blamed for crimes you never committed and when you're older you begin to get credit for virtues you never possessed. It
evens itself out. "
- I. F. Stone
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here's another good quote:

"Be polite and respectful. When you're posting a question, you're asking for a favor. Show respect, get knowledge."

-Hotrodders.com Guidelines
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM

ha ha ha!

Man this thread was a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ultamitely seems like the SMART EXPERIENCED guys KNOW THAT MORE HP TO WHEELS WINS RACES LOL. Then you got a guy who says HIGHEST HP wins races LMAO. Then the experienced guys say torque wins races. Then you got mathematical guys talking physics? LMAO!!

Well commen sense is NATURALLY your going to have more HP TO WHEELS FROM MORE TORQUE ENGINES.

IF HP WAS THE REAL REASON, WHY DON'T 18 WHEELERS AND DUMP TRUCKS, ETC HAVE HIGH HP 4 CYL & 6 CYL ENGINES?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 PM

One more thing!

I'M WITH BIGLOEROCKS!

If you got so much THEORY where is the PROOF to all your theory? TIME SLIP? CAR make / CAR WEIGHT/ Engine COMBINATION / CUBIC INCHES, Timing, ETC. Trust me you will need all of this and some more to try to clarify your assumed statement.

Dont get me wrong I'm all about learning. Many giants have been proven wrong before but with SOLID PROOF.

On the other hand it sounds like your out in the blind making a statement unexperienced dude. Your talking to engine muscle heads LMAO! Your talking to guys who have trial and error. PLENTY

Maybe you should HIT GM-FORD-DODGE, ETC with this idea. Prove to them they are air heads for inventing Big Blocks because of the torque in them and then come back here?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 PM

LOL...You said it all.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Those are some nutty last posts. You cannot describe how quickly a car of a given weight will reach the end of a 1/4 mile with an average or peak torque number.

K
Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think I see the flaw in the logic.

AP72 you are misunderstanding RPM as time, it is angular velocity not time. Just because a cranshaft has a high angular velocity does not mean it gets more work done in a period of time without an intermediate energy storage device such as a heavy flywheel.

BTW, this type of comment will get you suspended.

Quote:
Its kind of a shame it took him 50+ years to learn what some guys pick up by their junior year isn't it? Imagine what more he could have done if he would have knew then what he knows now...
Your attitude in this thread is way over the line especially when many of us have attempted to illustrate the subject to you in a way you will understand. This isn't the first time you have adopted this behaviour...it has been discussed at length...I guarantee it will be the last.

BTW, the thread won't be locked, you will just be excluded from it, consider this the last warning.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

Knowledge is knowing its a oneway road. Wisdom is looking both ways anyway.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Last journal entry: Rear diff break in
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
ÖBTW, the thread won't be locked, you will just be excluded from it, consider this the last warning.
I think it is safe to break my promise and get back into this conversation. I know there are some people out there who think this subject is stupid and that we are wasting our breath. Thatís fine. If you think that than please donít post, just move on. I saw a post about a sewing machine earlier that I did not read. Why? Because I donít know anything about sewing or building interiors, so I did not bother with it. If I wanted to learn more about it I would have read it, but if it did not interest me or I thought it was dumb I would not fill the thread with my negative comments. Just my $.02 on thatÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
AP72 you are misunderstanding RPM as time, it is angular velocity not time. Just because a cranshaft has a high angular velocity does not mean it gets more work done in a period of time without an intermediate energy storage device such as a heavy flywheel.[/B]
4 Jaw Chuck,

You make a good point about RPM not representing real time. But, if you put an engine on a dyno and instead of graphing out HP/TQ versus RPM and use time in place of RPM, the curve would look strikingly similar. HP and TQ would cross over at the same point, but the curves themselves might appear stretched or squished horizontally, but NOT vertically. Your car's MPH at the end of a drag is dependent on the amount of energy you can transfer from the tires to the ground as well as vehicle mass. That's it. Kinetic energy, KE=1/2mV^2. If you start from rest, the energy you transfer from the car to the ground (KE) is based SOLELY on horsepower at the rear wheels as well as how long that power is applied.

I think the examples I used were maybe a little too drawn out. Think of it this way. If two guys are given identical motors with the power band I posted before, identical cars, but variable transmission ratios, if one guy set up his car to provide max torque output of the engine at all times and the other guy set his up to run the engine at peak HP output at all times then the guy running peak HP will end up delivering more hp AND more torque TO THE REAR WHEELS. Before you call BS on that think very carefully about torque at the engine versus torque at the rear wheels. In order to keep the engine revving at peak power output the guy had to use taller (numerically larger) gears in his transmission, compared to the guy running at peak torque at lower rpmís. Even though his engine was putting out less torque he was doing so at a higher rpm, so the additional gear reduction used to keep the engine revving at peak power more than made up for his lack of flywheel torque. Torque multiplication through his transmission made all the difference.

Phil
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.