Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Track 1 heads race only. Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedSBC
Keith
but have found that usually you can take everything they adv. up to about .400 and sometimes .500 and throw it out the window.
Jay
That is the understatement of the year. I don't care if you setup a small block head with a 4" or 4.5" fixture and put a crack pipe on the exhaust, some heads out there will fall FAR short of the advertised numbers.

I have always found AFR's to be well within reason on the flow bench, up to their 220 runner 23 degree heads. Have not seen or done any heads larger than this, like their 227, 215 RR or big block stuff.

Brodix is well within reason as is Edelbrock on the flow bench versus advertised. Canfields that have been purchased assembled through Competition Products sucked but bare are nice heads. I have seen their fully ported 220 runner castings flow amazing numbers on the bench.

Those really cheap china knockoff that are out there are aweful. They flow squat at low lift then at .550 they spit out 260 or so. But if the cam only lifts the valve to .500 a customer is better off with a Vortec.

We have used lot's and lot's of Dart heads over the years as they are legal for our race classes. They typically do what's advertised as well. Your right Jay, we'd love to have an option on the SR head, it's suckey for a race class head. It's silly to not allow some better heads in some of these classes as everyone knows the inordiante amount of time and labor we go through to "make these heads work" within the confines of the "must be stock" rules.